News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

UEFA Euro 2016

Started by Zanza, May 17, 2016, 12:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

So they put Poland, Ukraine, and Germany in one group?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: dps on June 06, 2016, 01:20:04 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 17, 2016, 01:32:24 PM
According to the French press, one notable fact is Kevin Trapp not being among the three German goalkeepers. He's the current goalkeeper of Paris Saint-Germain. ;)
Trapp à la trappe, says the franco press ( untranslatable pun intended).

I'm not sure it's untranslatable.  "Trap" is another name for "goal";  "Trapp of the trap" seems a reasonable pun to me.

Then make it not so easily translatable. ;)

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: alfred russel on June 06, 2016, 03:36:46 PM

Yes, they forgot Russia. :(

The Larch

Also Austria and Hungary in another one. Just like in the good old times!

Admiral Yi

Heard on NPR that some French dude was arrested in Ukraine with a large stash of weapons he was planning on using to attack fodbol matches, mosques and synagogues to protest Muslim immigration and stuff.

Valmy

He was going to attack Synagogues to protest Muslim immigration? Ah well I guess any excuse will do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2016, 03:56:40 PM
He was going to attack Synagogues to protest Muslim immigration? Ah well I guess any excuse will do.

If it's true, classic tension strategy. French sources do not see him as a terrorist yet, but arms smuggler at the very least. I guess if links to supply islamist groups were proven that could change. The last precedent is some arm smuggler linked to the far-right and/or police informer, who presumably sold some weapons to Coulibaly, responsible for the Hyper Casher attacks.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-france/2015/05/04/01016-20150504ARTFIG00002-une-figure-de-l-extreme-droite-lilloise-fournisseur-d-armes-presume-d-amedy-coulibaly.php

All of this is still murky and should get its own thread.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Larch on June 06, 2016, 03:53:04 PM

Serbia and Turkey should be in there with them. In the end, everyone would unite by hating on Serbia.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

Switzerland Vs. Albania should also be fun. 6 Swiss internationals are ethnically Albanian, having either been born in Switzerland or moved there when very young, while 9 Albanian internationals either were born in Switzerland and/or played for the Swiss squad until U-21, when they declared for Albania. There are even two brothers, the Xhakas, one in each team, the older Taulant in Albania and the younger Granit in Switzerland.

Liep

Instead of the Euros our team is in Japan playing the Kirin Cup. We lost in penalties in the semis to Bosnia but beat the hell out of Bulgaria in the 3rd place final. Eriksen scored a hattrick. Utterly unsatisfying still. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on June 06, 2016, 04:43:29 PM
Quote from: The Larch on June 06, 2016, 03:53:04 PM

Serbia and Turkey should be in there with them. In the end, everyone would unite by hating on Serbia.

Just like in the good old times!

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Liep

The only Danish player at the Euro, Emre Mor, has been sold from his Danish club to Dortmund for about €10 million which makes it the biggest sale in the history of the Danish league.

And we lost him to goddamn Turkey.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Going Laurent Blanc on us Liep? Where's your PC?  :P

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/06/world/la-fg-france-soccer-20110506

QuoteLaurent Blanc, the national team manager, is heard saying he broadly agreed with limiting the number of nonwhite players who then "go on to play for North African or African teams." He backed a change of selection criteria to favor "boys ... with our own culture."

Valmy

I remember this controversy, about Frenchmen on the French team, from years ago. Is it still ongoing or are we just digging up years old stuff now that international football is topical?

Duque de Bragança

There was another round of it with the ongoing Benzema controversy which I mentioned earlier in the thread.