Which school would you rather attend? Hogwarts or Xavier's School for the Gifted

Started by jimmy olsen, May 12, 2016, 02:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which school would you rather attend?

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
8 (34.8%)
Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters
15 (65.2%)

Total Members Voted: 23

dps

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on May 12, 2016, 08:12:57 AM
The Battle of Hogwarts apparently took place in 1998, so I would have been 11 and right in the thick of it. On the other hand, the wizarding world seems to have settled down since, which can't be said of the X-Men universe. Plus, as a wizard, you get to settle into domestic tranquility in your magical shadow world, whereas as a mutant you'll always have to deal with tension with the normals.

I don't think there's any question that I'd rather be a Potterverse-style wizard than a mutant (unless maybe I got one of the really good mutant powers and didn't have any obvious physical characteristic that marked me as a mutant), but as far as the schools themselves, Xavier's wins hands down.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Yeah, in terms of wizard vs mutant, I have to think that being a wizard wins hands down.

But if you try to put that aside (say if your mutant power was to use magic... I dunno, just roll with it)... which is the better school to attend?  I'm more familiar with Hogwarts than the X-Men, so at first I thought the major knock against Hogwarts would be the Battle of Hogwarts, but quick googling suggests that the X-Men school has been destroyed and rebuilt numerous times.  I guess the mutants get to wear more flamboyant clothes than some dumpy-looking wizards robes, so maybe there's that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Is the hottie factor really as one sided as y'all are making it out to be?

Savonarola

Not for me; I had a schoolboy fictional-character crush on Kitty Pryde when I was in junior high, so I was just playing around with that.  Given that her boyfriend at the time was made out of steel, that would have probably ended poorly for me had I lived in the Marvel universe.

The Marvel universe simply seems more fun to me than the world of Harry Potter. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

I also had a tween crush on Kitty Pryde. We'll need to fight for her, Sav. See you in the danger room after Math.

merithyn

Totally Hogwarts.

The opportunities are endless, the castle is fucking awesome, and come on, guys! McGonnegal is the best fucking magical person in the world! :wub:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on May 12, 2016, 12:44:19 PM
I also had a tween crush on Kitty Pryde. We'll need to fight for her, Sav. See you in the danger room after Math.

You'd better be there.   :mad:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on May 12, 2016, 12:52:42 PM
Totally Hogwarts.

The opportunities are endless, the castle is fucking awesome, and come on, guys! McGonnegal is the best fucking magical person in the world! :wub:

I would have graduated during Order of the Phoenix. Damn my 7th year would have sucked ass.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Savonarola on May 12, 2016, 12:34:40 PM
Not for me; I had a schoolboy fictional-character crush on Kitty Pryde
Didn't all boys of a certain age? 

The problem with being a student at Xavier's is that they all tend to get killed.  People complain about how a bunch of kid wizards died in the Battle of Hogwart's, but Xavier's death rate has been astronomical.  Even with major characters coming back to life, the minor ones don't.  All those former mutant kids that got de-powered by Scarlet Witch after House of M got blown to smithereens by Purifiers.  Every once in a while, some low-visibility student gets killed for shock value.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on May 12, 2016, 12:18:52 PM
Yeah, in terms of wizard vs mutant, I have to think that being a wizard wins hands down.

Total shocker that BB picks the fictional universe with the vast bureaucracy and availble cushy civil service positions.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 12, 2016, 02:12:59 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 12, 2016, 12:18:52 PM

Total shocker that BB picks the fictional universe with the vast bureaucracy and availble cushy civil service positions.

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

I suppose it's lower risk to be working for the Ministry of Magic than it would be to try and attach yourself to Magneto's next attempt to take over the world.  But the rewards wouldn't be as great.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Larch

Cel, Sav, you can keep Kitty Pride, as long as my dibs on Rogue get recognized.  :P

The Minsky Moment

I'd go with Potter world.

Both universes would be a boondoggle for lawyers, in terms of new regulatory issues, insurance claims, and damages claims of all kinds.  However, Marvel characters have a bad habit of messing up NYC; Voldemort and his cronies are usually content to stay in London.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson