Which school would you rather attend? Hogwarts or Xavier's School for the Gifted

Started by jimmy olsen, May 12, 2016, 02:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which school would you rather attend?

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
8 (34.8%)
Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters
15 (65.2%)

Total Members Voted: 23

jimmy olsen

Which school would you rather attend? Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry or Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Stewart's or McAvoy's timeline?  :hmm:

Not enough data to make an informed decision.  :nerd:

Eddie Teach

Xavier's school doesn't have all those regulations against using my powers among the common folk.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 12, 2016, 02:32:11 AM
Xavier's school doesn't have all those regulations against using my powers among the common folk.

It's also got hotter female classmates, a cool-ass jet and the danger room.

Tonitrus

But you're also stuck with whatever (possibly) lame, singular mutation that you have.

It would suck to be the guy who can only just do something like sonic farting.

Monoriu

In real life, schools should be judged on one criterion - the present value of the income streams of its graduates. 

But there should be an additional criterion for fantasy schools, namely the survival rate of its students. 

My problem with Hogwarts is that a lot of students end up dead in the Battle of Hogwarts.  Even though the students seem to land gainful employment after graduation, the mortality rate seems too high.

I am not familiar enough with the X-men universe to comment on the other one.

Jaron

Seems an unfair comparison, Mono.

The X-men seem to have remarkable power and going to the school helps them control it.

At Hogwarts, they have to learn how to tap into and use their power.

In both cases they'd get stronger but with Hogwarts they start completely defenseless and grow slowly as they study.

That being said, after graduating they go onto boring bureaucratic jobs or apparently use their magic to cook Sunday dinner.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

mongers

This maybe the ultimate Languish thread.

I may not necessarily be saying that's a good thing.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

lustindarkness

:hmm: Britain or New York?
I'm leaning towards Xavier's, for the hotties. 

Good question Tim. :nerd:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 12, 2016, 07:51:54 AM
Quote from: mongers on May 12, 2016, 07:00:31 AM
This maybe the ultimate Languish thread.

Too much agreement at this point.

We're probably all a little too old to have been potterheads.  Maybe the Jedi academy rather than Hogwarts.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Anyhow, I'd pick Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters.  I've already got a note to slip to Kitty Pryde.

:)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grinning_Colossus

The Battle of Hogwarts apparently took place in 1998, so I would have been 11 and right in the thick of it. On the other hand, the wizarding world seems to have settled down since, which can't be said of the X-Men universe. Plus, as a wizard, you get to settle into domestic tranquility in your magical shadow world, whereas as a mutant you'll always have to deal with tension with the normals.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?