Which school would you rather attend? Hogwarts or Xavier's School for the Gifted

Started by jimmy olsen, May 12, 2016, 02:28:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which school would you rather attend?

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
8 (34.8%)
Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters
15 (65.2%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Monoriu

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on May 12, 2016, 09:22:15 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 12, 2016, 08:29:51 PM
A real school, not some nerd fantasy place.

A school where you aren't ashamed of the football team.

I think Wolverine would make a pretty kickass running back.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Quote from: The Larch on May 12, 2016, 03:33:19 PM
Cel, Sav, you can keep Kitty Pride, as long as my dibs on Rogue get recognized.  :P

Heh, when I was tween, even if you had lived in the Marvel Universe, dating Rogue wasn't a possibility, unless you had one of the full body condoms from The Naked Gun.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Following Keynes's and Barrister Boy's thinking, the Marvel Universe would be the obvious choice for me.  Careers in science and technology are limitless there.  Technology can even kick the ever-loving crap out of magic or super-powers.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Quote from: Savonarola on May 13, 2016, 08:31:46 AM
Cel, Sav, you can keep Kitty Pride, as long as my dibs on Rogue get recognized.  :P

Heh, when I was tween, even if you had lived in the Marvel Universe, dating Rogue wasn't a possibility, unless you had one of the full body condoms from The Naked Gun.

Have they changed that? Can't say I have been keeping up with the comics.

Back then, sexy time with Rogue = death by snu snu

The Larch

Heh, I know, forbidden fruit and all that.  :P

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on May 13, 2016, 08:37:25 AM

Have they changed that? Can't say I have been keeping up with the comics.

Back then, sexy time with Rogue = death by snu snu

:perv:

Apparently nowadays Rogue does indeed control her powers more and can get to touch other people without incident.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Camerus on May 12, 2016, 08:57:44 PM
Well, Hogwarts has a long, venerable and mostly peaceful history,\

Every single year covered in the books has violence and horror.
Reasonable to believe it's not entirely out of character.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Camerus

Well, from what I recall from reading the series, Hogwarts is several centuries old at least – and the violence of the two encounters vs. Voldemort (the second of which is the subject of the HP series) was rather unprecedented and thus the exception to life at the place rather than the rule (and IIRC Hogwarts itself wasn't even that central to the first war against Voldemort). 

The evidence is that the previous major wizarding conflict seems to have occurred off in central Europe back in 1945 and been rather more limited, and also there doesn't seem to be any real mention of other violence at the place either in the memories of the parents or in any of the mentions made to the history of Hogwarts or in the history of the English wizarding world generally.   I'd also say the character of its institutions, functions and rituals suggests a largely peaceful culture.

:nerd:

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 13, 2016, 05:14:23 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 12, 2016, 09:22:15 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 12, 2016, 08:29:51 PM
A real school, not some nerd fantasy place.

A school where you aren't ashamed of the football team.

I think Wolverine would make a pretty kickass running back.

Brutal stiff arm.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: 11B4V on May 12, 2016, 08:13:36 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 12, 2016, 07:14:30 PM
11Bravo would've attended the School of the Captain Americas, where superheroes learned how to support right-wing governments in Latin America.

Now called, Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation.

"At WHISC, you learn to stir shit up." :D
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point