News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Civilization VI

Started by Zanza, May 11, 2016, 10:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

I still have to adjust to when people talk about Catherine, they now mean France and not Russia. :unsure:

garbon

Quote from: Solmyr on November 02, 2016, 05:48:45 AM
I still have to adjust to when people talk about Catherine, they now mean France and not Russia. :unsure:

True. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Wait Catherine as in Catherine de'Medici?  Is she the French civ leader?  Whose idea was that?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 02, 2016, 10:51:48 AM

Wait Catherine as in Catherine de'Medici?  Is she the French civ leader?  Whose idea was that?

Oh good. Some Joan QQ.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

It's hardly upsetting, just a bit perplexing.

If the idea was to have an influential Queen mother/regent, wouldn't Blanche of Castile make more sense?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 02, 2016, 11:50:20 AM
It's hardly upsetting, just a bit perplexing.

If the idea was to have an influential Queen mother/regent, wouldn't Blanche of Castile make more sense?

Okay, now I think that's an odd comment. Which of those two Queen mothers is more famous?

The Minsky Moment

I don't know, wouldn't think either of them are particularly famous.  And if Catherine is famous, it's more like Louis XVI kind of fame.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 02, 2016, 12:10:00 PM
I don't know, wouldn't think either of them are particularly famous.  And if Catherine is famous, it's more like Louis XVI kind of fame.

Catherine definitely has more cachet, I would think. Though I guess that's not the right word as the Black Queen isn't generally viewed in a positive light.

Zanza

Wouldn't Anne of Austria be a more famous queen-regent than both considering that she was a figure in The Three Musketeers?

Martinus

Ed Beach has a hard-on for her. End of story.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 02, 2016, 12:40:06 PM

That's a key piece.

Also grumbler will hate me but here's what wiki has as pop culture references for each.  As Catherine's list makes clear, Catherine linked up in both Elizabeth I and Mary, Queen of Scots.

Catherine

QuoteArt
The Saint Bartholemew's Day Massacre (after 1576) by François Dubois
One Morning Outside the Gates of the Louvre (1880) by Édouard Debat-Ponsan

Films
Intolerance (1916), Josephine Crowell portrays de' Medici
Pearls of the Crown (1937), Marguerite Moreno portrays de' Medici
La Reine Margot (1954), Françoise Rosay portrays de' Medici
Diane (1956), Marisa Pavan portrays de' Medici
La Reine Margot (1961), television film; Alice Sapritch portrays de' Medici
Hardi Pardaillan! (1964), Isa Miranda portrays de' Medici
Catherine de Médicis : Le Tocsin de la révolution (1989), television film; Alice Sapritch portrays de' Medici
La Reine Margot (1994), Virna Lisi portrays de' Medici
Nostradamus (1994), Amanda Plummer portrays de' Medici
Saint-Germain ou la Négociation (2003), television film; Marie-Christine Barrault portrays de' Medici
The Princess of Montpensier (2010), Evelina Meghnagi portrays de' Medici

Gaming
Catherine de' Medici leads the French civilization in the 2016 4X video game Civilization VI developed by Firaxis Games.

Television episodes and series
The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve (1966), Doctor Who episode; Joan Young portrays de' Medici
La Dame de Monsoreau (1971), mini-series; Maria Meriko portrays de' Medici
Elizabeth R (1971), mini-series; Margaretta Scott portrays de' Medici
Le Chevalier de Pardaillan (1988), series; Dominique Blanchar portrays de' Medici
Reign (2013), series; Megan Follows portrays de' Medici

Anne

QuoteLiterature
She is one of the central figures in Alexandre Dumas's novel, The Three Musketeers and its sequels Twenty Years After and The Vicomte de Bragelonne and has thus been portrayed in countless film adaptations.
She is portrayed by Alexandra Dowling in the BBC series The Musketeers (since 2014-).

Blanche
QuoteLiterature
Blanche of Castile is mentioned in François Villon's 15th century poem Ballade des Dames du Temps Jadis (Ballad of Ladies of Times Past), together with other famous women of history and mythology.
Blanche and Isabella of Angoulême are the main characters in Jean Plaidy's novel The Battle of the Queens.
Blanche of Castile is briefly mentioned in Marcel Proust's Swann's Way.
Blanche is a key character in the novel "Four Sisters, All Queens", by Sherry Jones.
Blanche of Castile is a character, (as Lady Blanche of Spain), in King John (play) by William Shakespeare

Pop Culture
An image of Blanche of Castile has been used on the home kit of French Rugby Union team Stade Français since the 2008 season.
During the 1950s French restaurateur Noël Corbu claimed that Blanche of Castile had deposited a treasure in Rennes-le-Château that was later discovered by Bérenger Saunière during the late 19th century. This was later utilised by Pierre Plantard in his development of the Priory of Sion mythology.

Zanza

Syt

Let's be positive - at least they didn't pick Marie Antoinette. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on November 02, 2016, 12:40:06 PM

I have to admit I get a chuckle out of comments like this since I actually know Ed and am acquainted with his family.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

That's amazing.

Who is Ed Beach?  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?