News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Civilization VI

Started by Zanza, May 11, 2016, 10:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on October 26, 2016, 04:35:40 AM
I barely ever build science districts. Sure, if you do, it makes it worse, but even if you don't, it's way too fast.

And I don't want to use a mod touching the research speeds, not yet anyways, that's way harder to balance properly. But removing the eureka feature is not a big hit on overall balance (if any), and at least slows things down a bit.

But I agree the old reflex of having as much research as humanly possible is a bad one, because you do outreach your production capabilities. But it is clearly worse than they intended.

I just can't believe they have been seeing the "middle ages in 675BC" and were fine with it. especially as you the years are 100% just flavour so you can tweak their progression to your heart's delight. Thy had to change something big fairly recently.

Yeah agreed with this. I don't beeline on science (I've been spending more time with cultural, harbor and religious districts) but it does always seem a bit off with the dates.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 26, 2016, 04:27:16 AM
Quote from: garbon on October 26, 2016, 02:49:19 AM
Do you like early UUs? I almost never get a chance to use them. Well nothing earlier than say Rome's Legion.

Even on Quick speed, I still managed to get my Hoplites to conquer two city states, and that's after they helped me clear all camps on my mini-continent (I started alone). You just need to beeline to them and then hold off upgrading them for a bit.

Yeah, I guess that's the thing. Even though I'm more aggressive in start (due to what happens with relation penalties later), I still don't normally rush city states, just other Civs and often don't spend most time building a lot of military at that point. For me, that comes around the time I'm building Legions as Rome.

What is up with the personalities/international relations, btw? Most of the time, I find it very difficult to keep other states happy. Between those who hate me getting too many great people or getting friendly with city states, generally I have everyone on unfriendly. Only Civs that have ever been happy with me with my various runs are France, Kongo and Japan. Though in my most recent game as Russia, Kongo asked me to declare a joint war on India in Ancient Era and then immediately turned and declared war on me for attacking India. :huh:

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Like a lot of other sub-systems in Civ6, treat diplomacy as a mini game - ie. if you want to keep a civ happy you need to do what they want. There is an opportunity cost to that. Eg. if you want to keep Pericles happy you need to decide if leaving city states alone is worth it.

The flip side is that they will really like you if you don't compete with them at their favourite game - eg. Qin will keep calling you saying he appreciates you respect the glory of China if you continue not to build wonders etc.

Martinus

The Greek theme is stuck in my head.  :(

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 26, 2016, 05:21:01 AM
Like a lot of other sub-systems in Civ6, treat diplomacy as a mini game - ie. if you want to keep a civ happy you need to do what they want. There is an opportunity cost to that. Eg. if you want to keep Pericles happy you need to decide if leaving city states alone is worth it.

The flip side is that they will really like you if you don't compete with them at their favourite game - eg. Qin will keep calling you saying he appreciates you respect the glory of China if you continue not to build wonders etc.

Maybe I don't play on a high enough difficulty level (:blush:) but for the most part I don't sit around constantly worrying about that. I just get one good ally (almost with negligible effort, I guess because of my playstyle) and then we rough it out as the rest of the world frowns.  If I wanted to keep even a bulk of the Civs happy, I'd need to basically do nothing. :D

Martinus

Yeah but I think it's basically the idea (I also play on Prince only so far by the way :)) - i.e. you pick one or two civs and try not to piss them off, and the rest is supposed to dislike you.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ancient Demon

The Steam reviews are starting to turn more negative on Civ 6. Maybe I should wait a few years until I can get the complete edition at a discount, much like I did with Civ 5.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Martinus

Anonymous people on the internet are negative about something? Surely, this can't be so!

Syt

So far I have only two complaints:

The UI is not brilliant (e.g. the production selection window overlapping the city info tab).

The AI isnt very good.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on October 27, 2016, 12:48:28 AM
So far I have only two complaints:

The UI is not brilliant (e.g. the production selection window overlapping the city info tab).

The AI isnt very good.

Yeah, this seems to be the consensus. I think most can be fixed in patches and should not detract from enjoying the game too much. I mean, this is probably the most complete out-of-the-box vanilla Civ game to date.

Martinus

So apparently there is a semi-exploit (as it is unlikely to be WAD) that builders can chop trees virually everywhere (with your closest city getting the hammers). Yes it means half across the map or even enemy territory... :D

Maladict

I can't stand the cartoony and oversatured look of the graphics.
Brings back memories of Zeus  :x

Any chance the terrain and buildings will be modded to something normal?

Richard Hakluyt

On the other hand the Assyrians used to mount expeditions to get cedar wood from the Lebanon and the Athenians got the wood for their triremes from Macedonia  :hmm:

Perhaps a distance effect, reducing the hammers gained, is the best solution.

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on October 27, 2016, 03:10:10 AM
I can't stand the cartoony and oversatured look of the graphics.
Brings back memories of Zeus  :x

Any chance the terrain and buildings will be modded to something normal?

I actually like the graphics though I was critical of them with previews. This is a game. :D

Kongo seems like the most fickle friend. We had great relations from a number of factors but then when my caravel discovered the British, I guess that set off his angry about other civs exploring and he declared war. Oddly enough, on our relationship positives and negatives, I'm still on a net positive with him...

Similarly, Victoria was happy enough to see me and let me establish embassy. Next turn, I guess her dislike of civs on continents where she doesn't have a city kicked in and she declared war on me.

Neither are likely to cause me much damage (V as she is too far away and Kongo as I'm pretty sure my forces are stronger so he'll likely end up losing a city or two). :hmm: