News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Civilization VI

Started by Zanza, May 11, 2016, 10:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Hmm this may be a bug or maybe you missed some part of the screen due to scrolling not being visible. Generally, as I understand, all cities that were occupied as a part of the war go back to their original owner unless ceded in peace or you destroy the enemy.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 24, 2016, 11:13:18 AM
Hmm this may be a bug or maybe you missed some part of the screen due to scrolling not being visible. Generally, as I understand, all cities that were occupied as a part of the war go back to their original owner unless ceded in peace or you destroy the enemy.

Yeah, that was my guess too so I was quite surprised when I only selected for them to give me a couple and then all of a sudden I had all 4. Oh well, most of the world already hates me as they are the 3rd civ whose capital I took. (I took out Pedro and Victoria in much earlier times then they declared a joint war on me out of the blue - I had no mercy and fought Victoria for her one city and Pedro for his two).

Actually, that's one thing I hope they fix. In this game and in an earlier game as Victoria, I've seen some states stay as one city minors. There is ample room for them to expand and they always have a colonist chilling in their capital when I take it, so not sure what the issue is.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Continued as Gorgo. I've established that I'm alone with Brazil and a few city states on my continent.

Brazil and I have the same amount of cities, but they have the better military. They founded Catholicism, I founded Hellenism.

Since I'm behind in the arms race, I opted for Theocracy (I have good faith production going on and can use it to buy units), and will select the boni that give you extra strength against non-believers. The Spartan Jihad will be merciless. -_-
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Incidentally, the Greek theme (which is Seikilos Epitath) is imho one of the best in game. Especially the Information/Atomic age version is so majestic and inspiring, it's a great prelude to winning as Greece.

Tamas

I'll see if I can find the Eureka bonus in the xml file and reduce it drastically, to say, 5%. I think these bonuses play a role in the super-fast tech speed, and I don't think they really work as intended: they are so easy to get and so significant, that in effect they are not a bonus for being able to trigger them, but a penalty for not being able to do so.

Also I think turning barbarians off helps the AI more than me (relatively, anyways), so I'll keep experiencing with that.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on October 25, 2016, 11:16:25 AM
I don't think they really work as intended: they are so easy to get and so significant, that in effect they are not a bonus for being able to trigger them, but a penalty for not being able to do so.

Yeah, that's very fair.

Also, I hope they do something to change the whole religion bit. Religious mini-game right now is a bit tedious given that states can so easily be swayed to another religion.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Hmmm. Must figure out how to buy this on Steam and pay with cash...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Started a new game as Gorgo. Gotta say Greece is my favourite civ hands down. Any civ with a unique district is super powerful as you build it in half the time and it doesnt count against the district limit - and with there being no Campus unique district, Greek's Acropolis is the best imo since Culture works as a de facto second science yield (due to a separate Civics tree).

They also get an early UU (which is always the best) and Plato's Republic is a very cool ability.

Plus I love ancient Greece as a culture and their theme music is great.

garbon

Do you like early UUs? I almost never get a chance to use them. Well nothing earlier than say Rome's Legion.

Tamas

Well, reducing the eureka bonus to 5% (found a mini-mod which decreased it to 25% and edited that), pushed the start of the middle ages to the 3rd century BC, which is a marked improvement over it regularly starting in the 7th.

Tamas

As for turning the Barbarians off, I have not seen a dramatic increase in AI empire sizes just yet, but last time i checked (kind of midway into the Classical era), with my usual performance I was near the bottom of the score list (although just a few points between most civs to be fair). With the same performance in the same difficulty I was either first or second in all the games I tried with Barbarians on, sometimes with a large lead over the bottom ones.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on October 26, 2016, 02:49:19 AM
Do you like early UUs? I almost never get a chance to use them. Well nothing earlier than say Rome's Legion.

Even on Quick speed, I still managed to get my Hoplites to conquer two city states, and that's after they helped me clear all camps on my mini-continent (I started alone). You just need to beeline to them and then hold off upgrading them for a bit.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on October 26, 2016, 03:41:03 AM
Well, reducing the eureka bonus to 5% (found a mini-mod which decreased it to 25% and edited that), pushed the start of the middle ages to the 3rd century BC, which is a marked improvement over it regularly starting in the 7th.

I'd rather increase the science cost than reduce eureka bonus, imho.

Martinus

One thing that many people are pointing out, too, the "science rush" people are experiencing may in fact be caused by people playing the game wrong.

People are used to science being king in Civilization games, so they spam campuses and libraries everywhere - but this (i) increases the costs of districts and (ii) does not allow them to catch up with their production. This means that by the time they reach the industrial era, most buildings takes dozens of turns to build.

Tamas

I barely ever build science districts. Sure, if you do, it makes it worse, but even if you don't, it's way too fast.

And I don't want to use a mod touching the research speeds, not yet anyways, that's way harder to balance properly. But removing the eureka feature is not a big hit on overall balance (if any), and at least slows things down a bit.

But I agree the old reflex of having as much research as humanly possible is a bad one, because you do outreach your production capabilities. But it is clearly worse than they intended.

I just can't believe they have been seeing the "middle ages in 675BC" and were fine with it. especially as you the years are 100% just flavour so you can tweak their progression to your heart's delight. Thy had to change something big fairly recently.