News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Civilization VI

Started by Zanza, May 11, 2016, 10:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Tbf, I didn't min max much, and I didn't focus on war (just enough troops to scare off would-be attackers). I was also lucky that I had plenty of empty room to build my cities in. And, of course, I'm playing only on Prince level. Still, I managed to get a Golden Age all the time (except once when I dropped into a Dark Age from which I rose with a Heroic Age), without really trying.

Nevertheless, in end game you run out of things to build (except special projects at the bottom of the production list, and units), and generally I felt I don't have many things to really do.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

You need tourism to win a culture victory, not culture as such (funnily enough). Produce tons of tourism and you'll win. Those late-game tourism multiplier policies help a lot.

Syt

Yeah, I boosted my tourism as much as I could. I made it over by getting the World Council to vote that writing gives 100% more tourism to writing great works (which was the one I had most of).

The early to mid game is quite fun, IMHO. I feel from the modern age onwards the fun appears to drop off for me.
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

I generally always end up with a Science or Culture victory.  On higher difficulty it is very difficult to get a military or religious victory and on lower difficulty you are going to get science or cultural victories much sooner.  Diplomatic victories are an interesting challenge the first couple of times but also become tedious.  Try the Swedes for that and turn off the cultural victory condition because they will get there first.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on February 08, 2020, 04:52:21 PM
Played as Martinus Corvinus, but stopped at the end game. I . . . can't quite get over the hump needed to win.

Tackle the other civs.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Solmyr

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 10, 2020, 11:22:03 AM
Quote from: Syt on February 08, 2020, 04:52:21 PM
Played as Martinus Corvinus, but stopped at the end game. I . . . can't quite get over the hump needed to win.

Tackle the other civs.

He has to put his foot down.

DGuller

fromtia

Well Civ 6 was on sale so I finally bought a copy. I have enjoyed every step of the series, with 5 probably being my favorite - 5 with it's two expansions I hasten to add. Out of the box I found vanilla 6 to be really disappointing , but with it's two expansions it was transformed into perhaps the best of the series (with some gripes about the phone game unit graphics) . By adding two mods from steam (AI+ and Smootherdifficulty) I was even able to knock the rough edges off Firaxis continuing horrible disinterest in writing good AI.

Have had my nose in the game for a week solid.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Syt

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/05/11/civilization-6s-new-frontier-pass-will-include-six-dlcs-starting-this-month/

QuoteCivilization 6's New Frontier Pass will include six DLCs starting this month

Rome wasn't built in a day, nor was Civilization 6, I suppose. The strategic colonize 'em up is going to spend a year rolling out new paid (and some free) updates. Firaxis Games say "we want to bring you more content—more Civilization—but in a way that keeps the game fun." Apparently that's coming in the form of the New Frontier Pass, which will get you access to the six DLC packs coming to Civ 6. They'll be released every other month over the next year, beginning on May 21st.

Firaxis say that over the course of the six DLC's they'll be adding "eight new civilizations, nine new leaders and a variety of new gameplay content, including six new game modes." Firaxis say in their developer update below that the Maya will make a return. Never-played Gran Columbia will be another addition.

They also mention an "apocalypse mode," new buildings, new units, and new tile improvements. There are more updates than that and Firaxis say "we think you'll pleasantly surprised by a couple of them."

The first DLC pack will be the Maya & Gran Colombia Pack coming later this month. Following it will be the Ethiopia Pack in July. The rest of the four packs are unannounced so far, though it sounds like some bits will require you also own Civ 6's Rise and Fall or Gathering Storm expansions.

Along with the six DLCs, Firaxis say "we'll also be deploying six additional free updates for all Civilization VI players. These updates will include balance changes and free content, among other surprises."

Even before a truckload of additions, Civilization 6 is one of the best strategy games on PC.

You can get the rest of the details about the New Frontier Pass on Firaxis's website. The Maya and Gran Columbia Pack releases on May 21st.

Developer update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwWowQvgT34
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

I will just wait and see what they release, maybe buy it on sale. Civ VI is not bad, but somehow I don't like the timing in the game. Technology proceeds very fast, but actually building all that stuff takes too long early on, especially units. You often have outdated units that take ages to move to the front. Especially naval units. Later technology is still fast, units are now fast enough (except naval units), but e.g. the moonshot projects take ages to build, which makes a science victory a grind.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on May 11, 2020, 01:28:26 PM
I will just wait and see what they release, maybe buy it on sale. Civ VI is not bad, but somehow I don't like the timing in the game. Technology proceeds very fast, but actually building all that stuff takes too long early on, especially units. You often have outdated units that take ages to move to the front. Especially naval units. Later technology is still fast, units are now fast enough (except naval units), but e.g. the moonshot projects take ages to build, which makes a science victory a grind.

Agreed. On small maps unit moves are not as bad, but on a decent sized map a unit can become technologically obsolete once it reaches the front.  The game needs something like a strategic deployment phase within an empire and unit moves at the front.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Also, Simon Bolivar/Gran Colombia might be "a bit" OP: https://youtu.be/Xk0QVqx-1Ss?t=147
—Stephen Jay Gould