Extra terrestrial life: do you believe they exist?

Started by viper37, May 03, 2016, 09:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does extra-terristrial (intelligent) life exists?

No, we are alone in the universe, always have been, always will be.
4 (8.7%)
No, maybe in the future, after us.
1 (2.2%)
There was life, but they are long gone (extinct).
1 (2.2%)
Yes, I see them every saturday morning, they initiate contact when I'm still drunk.
1 (2.2%)
Yes, I know, I have Faith they are out there.
0 (0%)
Yes, I do not have any proofs, but I am sure the universe is too big for us alone.
39 (84.8%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Hamilcar

All the aliens have turned into eternally dreaming AIs. Why explore the mundane galaxy, when you can live an infinity of lives, forever, in your own imagination?

Drakken

I am agnostic over this issue.

Yes, our own existence beckons the possibility of other sentient life in the universe, but our sample remains n=1. You may add as many zeros as you wish, the result is still zero.

And if sentient life does exist, I am not convinced it is in humanity's best interest to discover and confirm its existence. The sheer magnitude of this new knowledge might be so dangerous it might tear the core fabric of our societies. Most, if not all of our philosophies and moral codes throughout history, even today, stem from humanity's moral or physical uniqueness in existence.

KRonn

Quote from: Drakken on May 07, 2016, 06:13:04 PM
I am agnostic over this issue.

Yes, our own existence beckons the possibility of other sentient life in the universe, but our sample remains n=1. You may add as many zeros as you wish, the result is still zero.

And if sentient life does exist, I am not convinced it is in humanity's best interest to discover and confirm its existence. The sheer magnitude of this new knowledge might be so dangerous it might tear the core fabric of our societies. Most, if not all of our philosophies and moral codes throughout history, even today, stem from humanity's moral or physical uniqueness in existence.

Agreed there, even if the extra terrestrials were friendly it would be quite jarring to people and societies for a number of reasons.

Tonitrus

Indeed.  It might lead to people conducting suicide bombings, terror attacks, and fomenting civil wars against their governments.

The Brain

Quote from: Drakken on May 07, 2016, 06:13:04 PM

You can relax. There will be much discussion and throwing of internet feces, but it's not going to upset the fabric of society.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 07, 2016, 10:04:38 PM
Indeed.  It might lead to people conducting suicide bombings, terror attacks, and fomenting civil wars against their governments.

:ph34r:  I guess we wouldn't notice any difference then.