And we're back!

Main Menu

Tesla's new rechargeable batteries for home

Started by viper37, May 04, 2016, 01:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2016, 02:40:53 PM
Based on their past operating expenses 10 Billion should put them in the black pretty decisively. But they tend to keep expanding their operations as revenue increases.
Not sure how indicative past operating expenses are. They want to make a different product for the mass market now and mass market cars tend to have much lower margins than high-end cars. The only company that can consistently pull off good profits from mass market cars is Toyota. Which is generally seen as the best manufacturer in the world. Musk made the claim that he wants to become the best manufacturer in the world. Other car companies have tried to emulate Toyota for decades, but couldn't quite pull it off. Let's see if he can do it.
Another issue that Tesla apparently already faces with the Model X is supplier quality and supply chain management. To ramp up your production from like 60k annual production to 500k production within two years not just stresses your own logistics and manufacturing processes, but also makes a very professional supplier capacity management necessary. Let's see if they can do that. All the other auto companies have a lot of problems with supply chain management.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2016, 04:13:58 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 04, 2016, 02:56:55 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2016, 02:55:12 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 04, 2016, 01:50:56 PM
https://www.teslamotors.com/presskit/teslaenergy

Looks interesting, with a 3000 (7kwh)-3500$US (10kwh) entry point for the batteries.  In a few years, it could be affordable enough for middle class homes.

Don't quite get how it's working though. You plug it in a wall, sure, but for the recharge part, you just bring it outside?

It's gonna be nice for Quebec were every home owner will need an energy producer license to operate these device.  Now, maybe people will understand the cost of too much regulations.  Or likely not.

No, you modify the regulation has needed by social & technological changes.
Like they did with Uber? :)

Taxis need to die in a nuclear fire.

Fixed. ;)

Anyway this thing might make solar panels worth buying again. I think one of the biggest solar companies that got wrecked by NVEnergy's Buffet regulation change is owned by Elon.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

lustindarkness

IMO nuclear is still a better option, if done right.

In a future, when batteries, solar and wind get more efficient, and you combine those with good old hydro/nuke/coal/whatever the power company in your area uses...
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 05, 2016, 04:49:10 PM
IMO nuclear is still a better option, if done right.

See? Ethnics agree with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2016, 01:55:27 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 05, 2016, 06:12:14 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2016, 02:33:29 AM
Has Tesla made any money yet?

Just took $300 million in down payments for 300,000 cars. The orders are worth more than 10 billion dollars.

Revenues are not profits Timmy.

They rack up orders like that and they'll get enough investment to cover expenses until they make a profit. Amazon didn't make a profit for like ten years and they got plenty of investment because they were selling more and more stuff every year.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Do you think any of that stuff is an answer to my question?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2016, 09:51:41 PM
Do you think any of that stuff is an answer to my question?

I think it's patently obvious that my answer was no and it doesn't matter.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 05, 2016, 04:28:53 PM
Anyway this thing might make solar panels worth buying again. I think one of the biggest solar companies that got wrecked by NVEnergy's Buffet regulation change is owned by Elon.
just read about a new solar panel that is 40% more efficient than what we have today in producing energy.  Basically, it uses the heat generated by the copper to heat water and use the hot water to heat a house.  They've made some tests at -35C and it's working, now they're testing in Arizona to see how well it works in extreme heat.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on May 06, 2016, 12:53:58 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2016, 03:48:05 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 05, 2016, 03:47:02 PM
Nuclear!!!

Fukushima ended that in the US.
I thought it stopped way before?

There was movement, due to the global warming business, to get it started again.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2016, 01:00:41 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 06, 2016, 12:53:58 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2016, 03:48:05 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 05, 2016, 03:47:02 PM
Nuclear!!!

Fukushima ended that in the US.
I thought it stopped way before?

There was movement, due to the global warming business, to get it started again.

the problem with nuclear is that it is so much more expensive than the alternatives, at least in moderate-sized production.  Virginia power still plans to build lake Anna 3, but it will be four times as expensive, per kWh over the next thirty years, than the equivalent wind farm off the VaCapes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!