News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tesla's new rechargeable batteries for home

Started by viper37, May 04, 2016, 01:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

https://www.teslamotors.com/presskit/teslaenergy

Looks interesting, with a 3000 (7kwh)-3500$US (10kwh) entry point for the batteries.  In a few years, it could be affordable enough for middle class homes.

Don't quite get how it's working though. You plug it in a wall, sure, but for the recharge part, you just bring it outside?

It's gonna be nice for Quebec were every home owner will need an energy producer license to operate these device.  Now, maybe people will understand the cost of too much regulations.  Or likely not.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on May 04, 2016, 01:50:56 PM

Looks interesting, with a 3000 (7kwh)-3500$US (10kwh) entry point for the batteries.  In a few years, it could be affordable enough for middle class homes.

Don't quite get how it's working though. You plug it in a wall, sure, but for the recharge part, you just bring it outside?

It's gonna be nice for Quebec were every home owner will need an energy producer license to operate these device.  Now, maybe people will understand the cost of too much regulations.  Or likely not.

It's meant to be pared with solar panels.  Solar panels charge the battery, which then gets discharged at night when the panels aren't working.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

This combined with some energy efficiency work can make your house basically an electrical island. It is going to be my project next house I buy  :cool:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

No, you modify the regulation has needed by social & technological changes.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on May 04, 2016, 01:58:45 PM

It's meant to be pared with solar panels.  Solar panels charge the battery, which then gets discharged at night when the panels aren't working.
ah, I see.  Well, 3000$ for the battery, 3000$ for the solar panel, and I can get just enough power for my tv and audio system.
Still a tad pricey.  Interesting concept, but I don't see myself getting something like that until a decade or more.

It's good that it can store energy, but I wonder how it would fare in winter over here, how much of a charge I can get from the solar panel during non sunny days and if it could provide for heating during the night.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2016, 02:55:12 PM

Like they did with Uber? :)

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on May 04, 2016, 02:56:40 PM
Still a tad pricey.  Interesting concept, but I don't see myself getting something like that until a decade or more.

It will not take that long. Things are moving along pretty quickly now. But note: solar resources might not be just great in Quebec. Large banks of these batteries might be great for supporting wind resources though. I know Texas is working on that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

ah, I see.  Well, 3000$ for the battery, 3000$ for the solar panel, and I can get just enough power for my tv and audio system.

It's good that it can store energy, but I wonder how it would fare in winter over here, how much of a charge I can get from the solar panel during non sunny days.

I wonder what the costs savings would be over the life of the battery and what the costs are regarding maintaining/repairing the solar panels.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2016, 03:00:39 PM

It will not take that long. Things are moving along pretty quickly now. But note: solar resources might not be just great in Quebec. Large banks of these batteries might be great for supporting wind resources though. I know Texas is working on that.
the problem with Quebec is that the only thing we have en masse, and even that is changing, is snow.  And water.

Most locations in "mainstream" Quebec aren't suitable for wind parks, there is not enough strong winds (and not often enough, mostly) along the St-Lawrence valley, except when your reach the GaspĂ© peninsula to sustain that.  Basically, we can put such wind farms in eastern quebec, south&north of the river and higher up north.  In places where there isn't much people.

I could see it replacing diesel generators for isolated communites though.  It's an interesting technology.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 04, 2016, 03:02:31 PM

It's good that it can store energy, but I wonder how it would fare in winter over here, how much of a charge I can get from the solar panel during non sunny days.

I wonder what the costs savings would be over the life of the battery and what the costs are regarding maintaining/repairing the solar panels.
If I use my last bill as a sample:
First 30kwh/day are priced at at 0,0568$.  Above that, 0,086$.
Ponderated average for 2 winter months: 0.0628$ per kwh for 2231 kwh.

A battery produces 10kwh for 3500$.  I'm guessing it's a daily production of electricy (am I right Valmy?).
I would save 62.8 cents per day, for my billing period that means 37$.
Let's assume, for simplicity's sake that I consume 50% less energy during the summer months, and let's make it 6months of summer and 6 months of winter.  That makes roughly 166$/year in economy.

If we forget time cost of money ( crime for any self respecting finance student), it takes 36 years to recuperate my investment.
The price of these things need to go down and the cost of electricity must rise.

EDIT: after some fact checking, solar panels would cost less than 1000$ for a 60w kitt.  I have no idea how that translate into real world appliances, i.e. what I can power.  Also, I have not taken into account any installation costs, nor the life expectancy of the panels.

viper37

Valmy

Do you need to produce wind resources actually in Quebec? It is not like electrons cannot move quickly from one region to another, though I know Quebec has its own grid.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on May 04, 2016, 02:56:55 PM

Uber needs to die in a nuclear fire.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2016, 04:13:58 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 04, 2016, 02:56:55 PM

Uber needs to die in a nuclear fire.

no longer an option.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.