And we're back!

Main Menu

Prince is dead

Started by Josephus, April 21, 2016, 12:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

His best song was Nothing Compares 2 you
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on April 22, 2016, 09:06:18 PM
I've heard a few people say he was as much of a musical genius as Michael Jackson.  Uh, no.

I agree, I don't think MJ was as gifted musically. He was a great performer and he knew how he wanted his music to sound.  But he relied on others to help him write and produce.  Prince did it all, he wrote, produced and performed.  He could play all the instruments.  He wrote for other musicians. In terms of musical knowledge and technical ability I don't think there is any comparison.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on April 23, 2016, 08:59:52 AM
His best song was Nothing Compares 2 you

That was a great song.

Legbiter

Prince died at the average age of death for American male pop stars.

But he lived a million prole lifetimes compressed into one. :thumbsup:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Larch

Male pop musicians in the 90s had a life expectancy between 45 and 50? Did they moonlight as professional wrestlers on the side or what?

celedhring

Yeah, I find that statistic a bit hard to believe. I mean, there's a bunch of high profile popstar early deaths, but my perception is that most of them reach old age like anybody else.

Admiral Yi

I think the x axis is referring to people who died at that time, not people who were musicians at that time.

frunk

I think the main reason why that chart is pretty bogus is the demographic difference between pop musicians and the population at large.  In the 1950s how old were the very oldest pop musicians?  Considering it wasn't really a widespread form until the 1930s I'd guess the very, very oldest ones would be in their 60s (how many 40 yo pop stars were there in 1930?).  Over time the rapidly increasing pool of people that would be considered pop musicians meant that the average age stayed young.  With the old pop musicians staying a tiny minority their deaths are swamped by normal expected deaths as well as occupational hazards among the younger cohorts.  It's only in the 2000s and 2010s with the 1960s pop boom aging up that it is starting to approach the general population.

garbon

Quote from: frunk on April 24, 2016, 01:57:14 PM
I think the main reason why that chart is pretty bogus is the demographic difference between pop musicians and the population at large.  In the 1950s how old were the very oldest pop musicians?  Considering it wasn't really a widespread form until the 1930s I'd guess the very, very oldest ones would be in their 60s (how many 40 yo pop stars were there in 1930?).  Over time the rapidly increasing pool of people that would be considered pop musicians meant that the average age stayed young.  With the old pop musicians staying a tiny minority their deaths are swamped by normal expected deaths as well as occupational hazards among the younger cohorts.  It's only in the 2000s and 2010s with the 1960s pop boom aging up that it is starting to approach the general population.

That strikes me as a sort of silly argument as I would guess the author of the chart in question was looking at 'popular' music. Not that I'm claiming graph is right but I'm not sure why you'd attack an argument that the author was not advancing.

I think this might be the original source and it confirms my suspicions.

http://theconversation.com/stairway-to-hell-life-and-death-in-the-pop-music-industry-32735

QuoteI went to rapper death websites, Dead Punk Stars and similar sites for all popular music genres. The genres I covered included African, ballad, bluegrass, blues, Cajun, calypso, Christian pop, conjunto, country, doo-wop, electroclash, folk, funk, Gospel, hard rock, hip hop, honky tonk, indie, jazz, Latin, metal, new wave, polka, pop, psychedelic, punk, punk-electronic, rock rap, reggae, rhythm and blues, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, ska, soul, swamp, swing, techno, western and world music.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

frunk

Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2016, 02:04:22 PM
That strikes me as a sort of silly argument as I would guess the author of the chart in question was looking at 'popular' music. Not that I'm claiming graph is right but I'm not sure why you'd attack an argument that the author was not advancing.

I think this might be the original source and it confirms my suspicions.

http://theconversation.com/stairway-to-hell-life-and-death-in-the-pop-music-industry-32735

QuoteI went to rapper death websites, Dead Punk Stars and similar sites for all popular music genres. The genres I covered included African, ballad, bluegrass, blues, Cajun, calypso, Christian pop, conjunto, country, doo-wop, electroclash, folk, funk, Gospel, hard rock, hip hop, honky tonk, indie, jazz, Latin, metal, new wave, polka, pop, psychedelic, punk, punk-electronic, rock rap, reggae, rhythm and blues, rock 'n' roll, rockabilly, ska, soul, swamp, swing, techno, western and world music.

There's nothing in the article that disagrees with what I said, and in fact it only confirms it.  He continually compares the numbers to the population at large, rather than comparing to equivalent age brackets.  In 1950 the average age of the general population is going to be way higher than the average age of pop musicians, and I don't think that changes significantly until the more recent data points.  It isn't just because they are dying younger, it's because pop was an ever growing population, expanding way faster than the population at large.  50 years ago the percentage of the population that could claim to have ever been a pop musician would be much lower than it is now, and it would have skewed younger.

It probably is true that pop musicians tend to die younger, but this doesn't prove it.

DGuller

It's actually a very good point.  If you plot age at death of millenials against general population, you will likewise find that millenials are dying very young, comparatively speaking.  The potential for bias in this kind of chart is humongous.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 24, 2016, 02:28:48 PM
It's actually a very good point.  If you plot age at death of millenials against general population, you will likewise find that millenials are dying very young, comparatively speaking.  The potential for bias in this kind of chart is humongous.

But those people who didn't die young back in the 30s and 40s should have reverted the average back to the population mean in the latter years.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 24, 2016, 02:38:51 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 24, 2016, 02:28:48 PM

But those people who didn't die young back in the 30s and 40s should have reverted the average back to the population mean in the latter years.
Not if you have a lot more younger people joining them.  Any difference in age distribution from the general population will skew that plot in a misleading way.

PDH

:(  I didn't die at a young age, and I'm going to leave a really ugly corpse...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Gups

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 23, 2016, 09:50:24 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 22, 2016, 09:06:18 PM
I've heard a few people say he was as much of a musical genius as Michael Jackson.  Uh, no.

I agree, I don't think MJ was as gifted musically. He was a great performer and he knew how he wanted his music to sound.  But he relied on others to help him write and produce.  Prince did it all, he wrote, produced and performed.  He could play all the instruments.  He wrote for other musicians. In terms of musical knowledge and technical ability I don't think there is any comparison.

I agree with this in general but MJ did write and co-produce a lot of his own stuff - Beat It, Bille Jean and others