News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dungeons & Dragons: Teh Moral Panic

Started by CountDeMoney, April 18, 2016, 07:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 19, 2016, 02:57:31 PM
I did not get involved in RPGs to play them, really it was to make some money off my brother and his nerd friends painting and modifying figurines, vehicles, buildings... WH40K made me some money.

Uhm, figurines are NOT tabletop RPGs. Neither is WH40K.

Habbaku

I think you will have a hard time convincing many a D&D nerd that there are no figurines in their tabletop RPGs...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on April 19, 2016, 03:36:35 PM
I think you will have a hard time convincing many a D&D nerd that there are no figurines in their tabletop RPGs...

Are pencils RPGs?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

lustindarkness

Back in the day, I sometimes wished I had an RPG(grenade launcher) at those RPG(games). They really got on my nerves sometimes.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

PDH

Quote from: Habbaku on April 19, 2016, 12:42:17 PM
Does anyone still actively do table-top other than me and Martinus?  I would love to hear what systems you guys are using these days.

I am currently in a bi-weekly Werewolf: The Apocalypse game, am working on a Hunter: The Reckoning storyline so I can run it, and will almost certainly be running a 7th Sea 2nd edition game when the new book comes out.

My old college buddies and I (along with Scott's son and some of his friends) still tabletop each Saturday.  Those of us not in the vicinity join through Google Hangouts.  We have been doing this for almost 2 years now.

We have been playing GURPS since 2nd edition, still doing it.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

About 5 years ago there was a small group of younger guys at work in IT that I latched on to for some WH40K Dark Heresy.  That's the silly, gritty, completely over-the-top RPG universe I would've sunk myself into as a teen;  but in your 40s, too many tables, too much silliness.

You get older, you appreciate the lighter, narrative-driven RPGs.  Dogs in the Vineyard, Dirty World, Hot War, Don't Rest Your Head.  Stuff like that.

Although, like Marti, I thoroughly enjoy the Ars Magica system:  if you want magic, you need to fucking earn it.  Magnificent system.

Ed Anger

I just want to wear fancy helmets that shoot lasers.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

For decades (literally) we played in Scott's world - The High Reaches.  It has hundreds of years of development and had gone through several "campaign jumps" in which it started all over again.  Even when I was in California I managed to make it back at least once a year to play.

Now I am a junkie again, in Scott's new world.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 19, 2016, 06:57:45 PM
About 5 years ago there was a small group of younger guys at work in IT that I latched on to for some WH40K Dark Heresy.  That's the silly, gritty, completely over-the-top RPG universe I would've sunk myself into as a teen;  but in your 40s, too many tables, too much silliness.

You get older, you appreciate the lighter, narrative-driven RPGs.  Dogs in the Vineyard, Dirty World, Hot War, Don't Rest Your Head.  Stuff like that.

Although, like Marti, I thoroughly enjoy the Ars Magica system:  if you want magic, you need to fucking earn it.  Magnificent system.

I also think it's the Catholic in us - this was the best system to incorporate Christian theology, imo. They had stats for archangels and miracles. :D

Habbaku

Quote from: PDH on April 19, 2016, 07:14:17 PM
For decades (literally) we played in Scott's world - The High Reaches.  It has hundreds of years of development and had gone through several "campaign jumps" in which it started all over again.  Even when I was in California I managed to make it back at least once a year to play.

Now I am a junkie again, in Scott's new world.

I hope to be able to do something similar when life settles a bit more.  Feel free to share any noteworthy stories of your recent sessions.  I remember you shared maps and commentary from one game a while back that was fun to read.  :)

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Ars Magica was my favorite RPG system too. Sadly I could never engage any of my groups in a campaign. They all preferred more fantastic settings and high adventure stuff. But I loved it.

Razgovory

It does have some interesting rules.  I like the idea of each adventure a different player plays the wizard.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on April 20, 2016, 01:44:12 AM

Ars Magica was my favorite RPG system too. Sadly I could never engage any of my groups in a campaign. They all preferred more fantastic settings and high adventure stuff. But I loved it.

Yeah same here. I was fascinated by the world and the concept but the others didn't share my enthusiasm at all.

The Larch

I also played a couple of sessions of Ars Magica and remember the system as pretty cool. A friend of mine still raves about it from time to time. I sometimes wonder why it failed to catch on in our group, but it seems that we're not the only ones.