News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dungeons & Dragons: Teh Moral Panic

Started by CountDeMoney, April 18, 2016, 07:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Does anyone still actively do table-top other than me and Martinus?  I would love to hear what systems you guys are using these days.

I am currently in a bi-weekly Werewolf: The Apocalypse game, am working on a Hunter: The Reckoning storyline so I can run it, and will almost certainly be running a 7th Sea 2nd edition game when the new book comes out.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 19, 2016, 12:10:11 PM
This RPG, translated as l'Œil Noir, was very popular too in France back then. Gateway RPG since it was sold outside of hobby stores back then.

Cool, never knew that. :-) I was only aware that it was marketed as Realms of Arkania or The Dark Eye in the USA, where it failed miserably. D&D was just too omnipresent and the translation was amateurishly handled by a single person, who never managed more than the core rules and one or two adventures.

DSA was certainly pretty different from the usual RPGs of it's time (at least from the second edition onwards), with a strong focus on roleplaying, storytelling and a living changing world. They once had an insane campaign running from 1994 to 1999 about a demonic Invasion, with 9 main line adventures and more then a dozen major tie-in adventures, countless smaller scenarios, monthly updates in the games official newspaper and so on.
It was recently rereleased as a 1100 page leatherbound tome. And that's only the core of the campaign. :mmm:

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Habbaku on April 19, 2016, 12:42:17 PM
Does anyone still actively do table-top other than me and Martinus?  I would love to hear what systems you guys are using these days.

I am currently in a bi-weekly Werewolf: The Apocalypse game, am working on a Hunter: The Reckoning storyline so I can run it, and will almost certainly be running a 7th Sea 2nd edition game when the new book comes out.

My group is currently mostly inactive, apart from the occasional board game. I did GM a Pathfinder adventure a year ago, but it did not really fit our gaming style. We plan to start a short Call of Cthulhu campaign in June or July, just to meet up more regularly.

celedhring

My tabletop RPG group moved over to boardgames full time a few years ago. We've been toying with running something again, but never followed through.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Also, my first tabletop was Rune Quest back when I was 12. It wasn't very successful among my friends at the time because the ruleset wasn't very teenager-friendly. I also tried MERP - which I personally LOVED (hence my internet nickname) - but the rules were even more arcane. When D&D finally came out in Spain it was a smash though; it was streamlined and fun, and that's what got my friends into tabletop RPGs. We played that game incessantly through high-school, college, and beyond.

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 18, 2016, 08:28:17 PM
QuoteI didn't know algebra, but I knew the TOE of a Soviet Tank division.

Yeah, didn't matter that I had an undergraduate grasp of European geography by the time I was 13, either.  Funny, never got any credit for that on PTA Conference Night.

For me, it was more like--
"You can find time to play your stupid games, but you can't find time to do your homework!"

*Throws Third Reich (3rd Ed) at head, destroys game box*

AD&D devil worship was just icing on the cupcake.

Yeah, really. I've always liked geography but learned so much more of it from war games and war books.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 19, 2016, 01:33:01 PM
Also, my first tabletop was Rune Quest back when I was 12. It wasn't very successful among my friends at the time because the ruleset wasn't very teenager-friendly. I also tried MERP - which I personally LOVED (hence my internet nickname) - but the rules were even more arcane. When D&D finally came out in Spain it was a smash though; it was streamlined and fun, and that's what got my friends into tabletop RPGs. We played that game incessantly through high-school, college, and beyond.

You didn't play Hero Quest as a kid? Now that was a gateway boardgame.

The Brain

My group still plays but now it's been a while since the latest session. Call of Cthulhu and WFRP (2nd ed) have been our main games these last years.

The first commercial RPG I played was Drakar och Demoner (Swedish RPG based on the Basic Roleplaying system). Roleplaying games were yuuge in Sweden in the 80s. Then it was MERP, Space Master, Role Master, Stormbringer, Call of Cthulhu, Twilight 2000, Vampire, Kult, WFRP...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on April 19, 2016, 01:39:32 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 19, 2016, 01:33:01 PM

You didn't play Hero Quest as a kid? Now that was a gateway boardgame.

Absolutely. I actually repurposed the minis to run my Rune Quest campaigns :D

KRonn

Quote from: 11B4V on April 18, 2016, 08:38:53 PM
I wonder if their are any nongamers on this site. I can't think of one.

Just think 35 years ago the average gamer didn't have the internet, which IMO, revolutionised gaming. You'd go to the (war)gaming store, or club/group and just game all night. Now it's a key board away.

When I was a kid there was no such thing as the internet. That probably came in sometime when I was in my late teens or twenties, and then it was slow modem dial up and of course nothing like the content it is now.

The Larch

The campaign I'm currently in is a Pathfinder one in the Eberron setting. Hopefully in the summer we'll resume playing a Game of Thrones one with the Guardians of Order's d20 system, which I personally like a lot.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Solmyr

Been running d20 Conan until recently, it will probably pick up again later. Also ran Warhammer FRPG some time ago. Now we are mainly using FATE.

lustindarkness

I did not get involved in RPGs to play them, really it was to make some money off my brother and his nerd friends painting and modifying figurines, vehicles, buildings... WH40K made me some money.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom