News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Everyone else is wrong

Started by Savonarola, April 13, 2016, 10:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

The film I just watched (The Love Trap) had a biography about William Wyler in which his various collaborators talked about him.  At one point everyone's favorite Stalinist, Lillian Hellman, talked about "Mrs. Miniver."  She said that when she saw it she was in tears since it was so awful and that she berated Wyler for making a film so far beneath him.  Mrs. Miniver went on to win Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress, Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography (B&W), and Best Supporting Actress at the 1942 Oscars, was added to the National Film Registry and was ranked as one of the most inspirational films by the AFI.  Hellman is right; the film is garbage, heavy handed garbage.

Do you have a work of art, book, movie or whatever that is universally loved (or hated) and that you hate (or love)?

For me, Maria Callas has a terrible voice.  All of her performances are painful.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Star Trek.

But nothing from the 1920s or 1930s I can think of so nothing you might be familiar with Sav :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Rap music - how is it that is something that has become perhaps not universally, but widely loved.

Brazen

My dad (who was in London as a kid during the Blitz) was talking about Mrs Miniver just last week. He said it was the most terribly Americanised vision of England during the war he'd seen. The accents were mostly terrible (especially the kids) and the homes had white picket fences, which really is an all-American phenomenon. I believe it was well-regarded as it broke plot rules (SPOILERS: the girl and not the pilot dies).

Don't know if GF was being ironic, but I do think Star Wars is unfairly praised. It's a mostly awful film with dreadful characteristic and script. I'm not terribly keen on the Godfather films either.

Martinus

I actually liked Wild Wild West.  :(

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Ok let's not derail this thing by trying to convince people their hatred of popular stuff is wrong. That way leads to madness.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Brazen on April 13, 2016, 10:28:32 AM
My dad (who was in London as a kid during the Blitz) was talking about Mrs Miniver just last week. He said it was the most terribly Americanised vision of England during the war he'd seen. The accents were mostly terrible (especially the kids) and the homes had white picket fences, which really is an all-American phenomenon. I believe it was well-regarded as it broke plot rules (SPOILERS: the girl and not the pilot dies).

Don't know if GF was being ironic, but I do think Star Wars is unfairly praised. It's a mostly awful film with dreadful characteristic and script. I'm not terribly keen on the Godfather films either.

I am not.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Savonarola

My dad (who was in London as a kid during the Blitz) was talking about Mrs Miniver just last week. He said it was the most terribly Americanised vision of England during the war he'd seen. The accents were mostly terrible (especially the kids) and the homes had white picket fences, which really is an all-American phenomenon. I believe it was well-regarded as it broke plot rules.

Which is funny since Wyler traveled extensively.  He must have known London doesn't look like suburban Los Angeles.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

unfairly praised. It's a mostly awful film with dreadful characteristic and script.

Fairness has nothing to do with it :P

lustindarkness

I kinda feel that way every time I post in the movie/tv thread. :D

Me: I watched (random movie) and it was great fun.
Languish movie snobs: That movie sucks, plot holes, acting, etc...
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

Most 80s teen movies. Especially The Breakfast Club.  :yuk:

The Mona Lisa. Most of Picasso's works.

Jay-z.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?