News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are your views on abortion?

Started by Martinus, April 04, 2016, 03:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your views on abortion?

Abortion is actually a good thing (e.g. it is empowering) - every woman should get at least one
5 (10.2%)
Abortion is a morally neutral medical procedure
11 (22.4%)
Personally I find abortion to be morally negative but it should be legal (with possible exception of late term abortion)
22 (44.9%)
Personally I find abortion to be morally negative and it should be legal only in exceptional cases (e.g. rape, incest, health or life threatening reasons etc.)
9 (18.4%)
Personally I find abortion to be morally negative and it should always be illegal
2 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2016, 11:42:42 AM
Quote from: merithyn on April 05, 2016, 11:37:55 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 05, 2016, 10:37:09 AM
I just wish we could come up with both male and female contraception that reverses the decision process - where people have to decide to be fertile, rather than the other way around.

This. Abso-fucking-lutely this.

Yep. It is so obvious I do not get why it is not more on the political radar as a solution.

How would that be a political solution? It sounds like a practical/scientific one if anything.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 05, 2016, 11:44:20 AM
How would that be a political solution? It sounds like a practical/scientific one if anything.

Millions are spent for lobbying to fight for or against abortion. If those millions were instead devoted to practical/scientific solutions it may no longer be a problem.

But I guess then those millions wouldn't be filling political parties' coffers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Zanza on April 04, 2016, 03:50:35 PM
An abortion is the tragic outcome of the conflict between two morally positive principles, namely the fetus right to life and the mother's right to control her own body. As with all tragedies, there is no right choice. So I tend towards the compromise solution adopted in many societies, namely to make early term abortions legal. 

I'm actually pretty close to that.  I just have a hard time figuring out exactly where to draw the line.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2016, 01:46:35 PM
Quote from: Zanza on April 04, 2016, 03:50:35 PM
An abortion is the tragic outcome of the conflict between two morally positive principles, namely the fetus right to life and the mother's right to control her own body. As with all tragedies, there is no right choice. So I tend towards the compromise solution adopted in many societies, namely to make early term abortions legal. 

I'm actually pretty close to that.  I just have a hard time figuring out exactly where to draw the line.

I think Sagan did a pretty good job defining it in a reasonable, rational, and human manner.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Hamilcar

A powerful tool in the fight against climate change and ambient noise.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive