News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are your views on abortion?

Started by Martinus, April 04, 2016, 03:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your views on abortion?

Abortion is actually a good thing (e.g. it is empowering) - every woman should get at least one
5 (10.2%)
Abortion is a morally neutral medical procedure
11 (22.4%)
Personally I find abortion to be morally negative but it should be legal (with possible exception of late term abortion)
22 (44.9%)
Personally I find abortion to be morally negative and it should be legal only in exceptional cases (e.g. rape, incest, health or life threatening reasons etc.)
9 (18.4%)
Personally I find abortion to be morally negative and it should always be illegal
2 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Martinus

Because we haven't had that discussion for a while.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

celedhring

I am in the "I personally couldn't do it but I don't find it in myself to make it illegal for others" camp.

So I'd make it legal but with enough (reasonable) hurdles and counseling so it's a last resort (unless there's a health emergency for the mother, of course).

Of course, ultimately the best way to reduce abortions is to reduce unwanted pregnancies through sex ed, and beef up child support policies.

Martinus

Yeah, I think personally most people would fall somewhere between option 3 and 4 on the poll (I know I fluctuate between the two). So it makes me wonder why there is so much controversy on this issue (most recently in Poland) - it seems like extremists on both sides tend to hijack the issue for political gain.

Norgy

Mandatory. We have enough people. Also known as the #nottrumpwall

The Brain

As long as it's legal to have kids and then demand that other people pay for their upkeep it seems petty to make abortion illegal.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

Why would abortion be morally negative? Whose morals are we referencing here?

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on April 04, 2016, 03:30:47 PM
Why would abortion be morally negative? Whose morals are we referencing here?

I presume, since the question is what my views are, that they would be my morals :unsure:

I find it very unfortunate and I hope we can work on birth control technology to give women control of their bodies before pregnancy occurs. As things stand now legal and safe abortions are only rational way to go. I hope, though, that eventually we can make them unnecessary or at least extremely rare. Human life should be as sacred as possible, under the circumstances.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

An abortion is the tragic outcome of the conflict between two morally positive principles, namely the fetus right to life and the mother's right to control her own body. As with all tragedies, there is no right choice. So I tend towards the compromise solution adopted in many societies, namely to make early term abortions legal. 

Josquius

Potentially iffy for the woman's health, not getting pregnant in the first place is better, but if she's pregnant and doesn't want to be then no issue whatsoever.
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

I find morality and legality to be two completely separate questions.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

I don't think a person's right to their own body is absolute.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

I view it as something not to talk about on Languish.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Martinus on April 04, 2016, 03:22:21 PM
Yeah, I think personally most people would fall somewhere between option 3 and 4 on the poll (I know I fluctuate between the two). So it makes me wonder why there is so much controversy on this issue (most recently in Poland) - it seems like extremists on both sides tend to hijack the issue for political gain.

I don't really get the rationale of #4.  I understand it as a practical matter, but it isn't really logical.  It seems to me that the unborn fetus either is or isn't a human being.  If it isn't, then #2 would seem to be the logical choice.  If it is, then #5 would be the logical choice.  If it isn't a human life at conception, but becomes human at some point before birth, then #3 (or really, a blend of #2 and #3) makes sense.

I don't claim to know at what point a developing fetus becomes human.  I think it probably is human some time before birth, but I have a lot of doubts about it being human at conception.