News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are your views on abortion?

Started by Martinus, April 04, 2016, 03:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your views on abortion?

Abortion is actually a good thing (e.g. it is empowering) - every woman should get at least one
5 (10.2%)
Abortion is a morally neutral medical procedure
11 (22.4%)
Personally I find abortion to be morally negative but it should be legal (with possible exception of late term abortion)
22 (44.9%)
Personally I find abortion to be morally negative and it should be legal only in exceptional cases (e.g. rape, incest, health or life threatening reasons etc.)
9 (18.4%)
Personally I find abortion to be morally negative and it should always be illegal
2 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

The Brain

What if you're in a runaway railway car and you have the option to run over three people or kill yourself and the other passenger and the fetus is Hitler?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on April 05, 2016, 09:56:10 AM
What if you're in a runaway railway car and you have the option to run over three people or kill yourself and the other passenger and the fetus is Hitler?

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: Solmyr on April 05, 2016, 05:18:46 AM
This poll is somewhat useless anyway, since most Languishites are men and don't have any grounds to decide what women do with their bodies.

From your lips to the US Congress' ears....
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on April 05, 2016, 05:18:46 AM
This poll is somewhat useless anyway, since most Languishites are men and don't have any grounds to decide what women do with their bodies.

Ok I will cease to fight for abortion rights then and cancel my monthly donation to Planned Parenthood since my views and support have no grounds.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

I just wish we could come up with both male and female contraception that reverses the decision process - where people have to decide to be fertile, rather than the other way around.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on April 05, 2016, 10:37:09 AM
I just wish we could come up with both male and female contraception that reverses the decision process - where people have to decide to be fertile, rather than the other way around.

Oh yeah. I just do not get why serious resources are not put towards contraception. It would do so much to put this issue to rest.

Not that I have grounds to have views on this subject.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Solmyr

Giving support and telling women they cannot do something because of your views on morality are not quite the same thing. :rolleyes:

garbon

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/05/health/northern-ireland-abortion-sentence/

QuoteN. Ireland woman who induced abortion given suspended prison term

Had the woman lived anywhere else in the UK other than Northern Ireland, she would not have been prosecuted for inducing her own abortion, her attorney said.

But she lacked the money to travel to England at age 19. So she wound up in court in Northern Ireland, where she pleaded guilty to two charges, and, now at 21, she received a three-month suspended prison term Tuesday.

The judge, David McFarland, said he was unaware of anyone ever having been prosecuted under Northern Ireland's 150-year-old abortion law, such legislation having been "substantially amended" in the rest of the United Kingdom.

Debate over abortion flares in various countries

The woman cannot be named for legal reasons. She pleaded guilty to procuring her abortion by using a poison and to supplying a poison with intent to cause a miscarriage.

The case comes amid controversies over abortion worldwide, including in the U.S. presidential race.

Notably, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump gave a series of evolving answers to the question of whether a woman who obtains an abortion should be punished. He started with yes, but ended with no, saying that the woman, along with the fetus, is a victim in such a case.

And it comes, too, as Poland considers a complete ban on abortion, including in cases of rape or when the fetus has a severe health issue. Opponents have called the proposal "medieval."

Housemates found fetus in the trash

The woman in Northern Ireland told her housemates she wanted to travel to England but could not raise enough money. She contacted an abortion clinic in England, which told her about two drugs available online that would induce an abortion.

She bought the drugs, and the fetus -- a male of between 10 and 12 weeks' gestation -- was aborted. Her housemates found the fetus in the trash and contacted police.

A fetus of 12 weeks would be 2.13 inches long on average and would weigh about half an ounce, although there can be considerable variation, according to the babycentre.co.uk website, which cites various medical journals.

Anti-abortion group says law demands life sentence

The anti-abortion group Precious Life called Tuesday for an appeal of the sentence.

The organization's director, Bernadette Smyth, said the judge had undermined an 1861 law calling for a life sentence in such cases.

The law -- the Offenses Against the Person Act -- says, as quoted by Precious Life in a statement, that "Every woman, being with child, who, with intent to procure her own miscarriage shall unlawfully administer to herself any poison or other noxious thing ... shall be guilty of felony, and being convicted thereof shall be liable to be kept in penal servitude for life."

The organization said it was "very shocked" by the leniency of the judge's sentence and said it had set a dangerous precedent.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on April 05, 2016, 10:43:37 AM
Giving support and telling women they cannot do something because of your views on morality are not quite the same thing. :rolleyes:

I was giving you a hard time :P

But seriously my morality dictates that abortions should continue until we can help women make them unnecessary. It may suck that people in a democracy can pass laws for farmers even though they are not farmers but that is how it works.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2016, 10:45:36 AM
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/05/health/northern-ireland-abortion-sentence/

Wait Northern Ireland's law on abortion is 150 years old? They have had no reason to re-consider the topic since then? I mean granted they have been busy lately.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2016, 10:48:44 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on April 05, 2016, 10:43:37 AM

I was giving you a hard time :P

But seriously my morality dictates that abortions should continue until we can help women make them unnecessary. It may suck that people in a democracy can pass laws for farmers even though they are not farmers but that is how it works.

I wish only people who make at least as much money as I do could pass laws taxing my income. :(

merithyn

This. Abso-fucking-lutely this.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Martinus

They already have this decision capability - it's the decision to have vaginal sex. Never done it and never will. :P

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on April 05, 2016, 11:37:55 AM

This. Abso-fucking-lutely this.

Yep. It is so obvious I do not get why it is not more on the political radar as a solution.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 05, 2016, 11:38:50 AM

They already have this decision capability - it's the decision to have vaginal sex. Never done it and never will. :P

Abstinence education has a great track record.