Agnostic Muslims kill more part-time Christians, this time in Nagorno-Karabakh

Started by Grinning_Colossus, April 03, 2016, 08:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2016, 01:54:00 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 05, 2016, 12:21:30 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2016, 12:36:39 PM
I continue to support Azerbaijan.  Armenians were the good guys in the 90s, but not any longer.
The area is ethnically Armenian and has been since the Turks were drinking horseblood in western Mongolia. It's been Armenian longer than Yerevan, which had a Muslim majority before the Russians.

But Armenians are pro-Putin.

Do they have a choice? Turkey is the natural ally of Azerbaijan, they are fellow Turks and Muslims after all. Armenia is the poor shitty country between them. Not sure how they have any hope to hang onto Nagorno-Karabakh without Russian support.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: alfred russel on April 05, 2016, 02:30:14 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2016, 01:54:00 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 05, 2016, 12:21:30 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2016, 12:36:39 PM
I continue to support Azerbaijan.  Armenians were the good guys in the 90s, but not any longer.
The area is ethnically Armenian and has been since the Turks were drinking horseblood in western Mongolia. It's been Armenian longer than Yerevan, which had a Muslim majority before the Russians.

But Armenians are pro-Putin.

Do they have a choice?

not really given the turkish propensity of genociding christians in the area.

Queequeg

I should not have commented.

I can think of no two people who have more in common than Israelis and Armenians but apparently they're not immune from ex-USSR antisemitic bullshit.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Spellus is right though.  Nagorno-Karabakh should be part of Armenia... it pretty much already is anyway, in all but fact.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on April 06, 2016, 12:20:17 PM
Spellus is right though.  Nagorno-Karabakh should be part of Armenia... it pretty much already is anyway, in all but fact.

It is kind of weird how the Soviets invented boundaries between their republics and those became the basis for new national boundaries. Even some of the countries are more or less made up. It isn't obvious there would be 5 post soviet -stan countries or say Belarus. The boundaries in the Caucasus were actually drawn to promote conflict - mission accomplished bolsheviks!
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Valmy

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 06, 2016, 12:48:09 PM
Should have left it all under the control of the Ottomans.  :yes:

Who should have? The Russians? Why? They are getting what they wanted.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grinning_Colossus

Yesterday's ceasefire is holding for now--sort of. Both sides are accusing the other of violating it (hundreds of times) and there's apparently intermittent shelling.

Here's a map of the fighting:

And a completely ridiculous terrain map:
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Grinning_Colossus

I don't think Russia (or Turkey) is behind this. Azerbaijan seems to have started this one, but their goal doesn't seem to be to actually retake Karabakh. Maybe, given the low prices of oil and natural gas, Aliyev saw trouble on the horizon and decided to stoke nationalism.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

DGuller

Maybe Azeris are perceiving that there is more will for Turkey to get involved than there is a will for Putin to get involved, and is striking while the iron is hot.  The problem with all those frozen conflicts is that they're just waiting with bated breath for geopolitical situation to change so that they can unfreeze.

Queequeg

Quote from: DGuller on April 06, 2016, 05:58:41 PM
Maybe Azeris are perceiving that there is more will for Turkey to get involved than there is a will for Putin to get involved, and is striking while the iron is hot. 
I hope he's wrong.  I will forgive Putin everything if he gets involved and makes Greater Armenia and an independent Kurdistan a reality.