News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What is your (prefered) definition of evil?

Started by Martinus, March 30, 2016, 09:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 30, 2016, 07:18:14 PM
As you're a quieter version of Viking, you're not exactly the person to judge.  :P

Well he's a more pleasant version of Viking.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on March 30, 2016, 09:57:24 AM
If you were to define evil in the simplest and at the same time more accurate way, how would you do it (you do not have to be original - it could be someone else's definition).
Anyways back to the OP's question.
Ill use a quote.

The malice of a true Christian attempting to destroy an opponent is something unique in the world. No other religion ever considered it necessary to destroy others because they did not share the same beliefs. At worst, another man's belief might inspire amusement or contempt—the Egyptians and their animal gods, for instance. Yet those who worshipped the Bull did not try to murder those who worshipped the Snake, or to convert them by force from Snake to Bull. No evil ever entered the world quite so vividly or on such a vast scale as Christianity did.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on March 30, 2016, 07:50:56 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 30, 2016, 07:18:14 PM
As you're a quieter version of Viking, you're not exactly the person to judge.  :P

Well he's a more pleasant version of Viking.

That was nice. Thank you.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Viking was a nice enough fellow. He just had a few issues where he obsessed a bit too much.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 30, 2016, 06:50:09 PM
No, there's always been an inordinate amount of Dudley Do-Rightism combined with an unhealthy dose of that most ugly of all Canadian traits, and then there's this guy.

I started going back to church again a year ago. :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on March 30, 2016, 09:02:51 PM
No, there's always been an inordinate amount of Dudley Do-Rightism combined with an unhealthy dose of that most ugly of all Canadian traits, and then there's this guy.

Yes, the grace and humility of Pope Francis is quite an inspiration.

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on March 30, 2016, 07:52:50 PM
If you were to define evil in the simplest and at the same time more accurate way, how would you do it (you do not have to be original - it could be someone else's definition).
Ill use a quote.

The malice of a true Christian attempting to destroy an opponent is something unique in the world. No other religion ever considered it necessary to destroy others because they did not share the same beliefs. At worst, another man's belief might inspire amusement or contempt—the Egyptians and their animal gods, for instance. Yet those who worshipped the Bull did not try to murder those who worshipped the Snake, or to convert them by force from Snake to Bull. No evil ever entered the world quite so vividly or on such a vast scale as Christianity did.

Who ever said that was deeply ignorant.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on March 30, 2016, 09:50:46 PM
Ill use a quote.

I figured you would know who it was.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 30, 2016, 09:07:38 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 30, 2016, 09:02:51 PM

Yes, the grace and humility of Pope Francis is quite an inspiration.

I respect my Catholic friends and brothers, but two years of a Jesuit education showed me why I can not be a catholic. -_-

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on March 30, 2016, 10:32:05 PM
I respect my Catholic friends and brothers, but two years of a Jesuit education showed me why I can not be a catholic. -_-

Disappointing.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 30, 2016, 10:35:08 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 30, 2016, 10:32:05 PM

Disappointing.

Quit being militant.

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on March 30, 2016, 09:52:44 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 30, 2016, 09:50:46 PM
Ill use a quote.

I figured you would know who it was.

I've never read any of Gore Vidal's stuff.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?