News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What is your (prefered) definition of evil?

Started by Martinus, March 30, 2016, 09:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on March 30, 2016, 03:39:48 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 30, 2016, 03:33:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 30, 2016, 03:25:16 PM
But when I say 'morality comes from God' I mean it that morality is entirely objective.  It comes from God, not from man.  It doesn't matter whether someone believes their actions are moral or not - the only thing that matters is whether God finds they are moral.

But how do we know what is objectively moral?

Ah, now there's the trick, isn't it?  ;)

We study, we pray, we do our best to figure it out.

But then you could also be nuts.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on March 30, 2016, 10:25:39 AM
Quote from: Malthus on March 30, 2016, 10:02:23 AM
To my mind, evil basically consists of treating people as things.

Or as a collective rather than individuals.

Or a demographic.

Slaves. Blacks, Jews, "The Masses", Gays, Hispanics. Basically anything other than individuals.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Quote from: PDH on March 30, 2016, 04:16:17 PM
Evil is live backwards.

That's the tag line for the Benjamin Button horror reboot I'm writing.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Martinus on March 30, 2016, 09:57:24 AM
If you were to define evil in the simplest and at the same time more accurate way, how would you do it (you do not have to be original - it could be someone else's definition).

People just arguing for arguments' sake on the internet. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: mongers on March 30, 2016, 05:45:00 PM
People just arguing for arguments' sake on the internet.

Before the internet, it must have been a challenge for people with overactive brains to find each other so they could argue about things they had no control over.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Excuse me; I know there was a spell where I didn't stop in very often, but when exactly did BB come back from Jesus Camp?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

No, there's always been an inordinate amount of Dudley Do-Rightism combined with an unhealthy dose of that most ugly of all Canadian traits, and then there's this guy.

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on March 30, 2016, 10:37:06 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 30, 2016, 10:29:48 AM
I dunno, I reserve the right to formulate it in a better way, but pretty much I would define evil as being contrary to God's wishes and nature.

That is almost stunning in how terrifying it is...

Why religion is a stain on mankind.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

"Some beliefs are so dangerous that it may be ethical to kill people for believing them"

Is this evil?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 30, 2016, 06:50:09 PM
No, there's always been an inordinate amount of Dudley Do-Rightism combined with an unhealthy dose of that most ugly of all Canadian traits, and then there's this guy.

He's reacting to Berkut who has gone full Viking on us.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on March 30, 2016, 07:03:15 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 30, 2016, 06:50:09 PM

He's reacting to Berkut who has gone full Viking on us.

:lol: I don't see Berkut going full Viking anywhere near as much, as BB's cheese has slipped off his cracker.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

As you're a quieter version of Viking, you're not exactly the person to judge.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 30, 2016, 07:18:14 PM
As you're a quieter version of Viking, you're not exactly the person to judge.  :P

BB,
face mask 15 yards