News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best musclebound actor

Started by celedhring, March 25, 2016, 04:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the best actor in the proud history of film muscleheads?

Arnold Schwarzenegger
22 (51.2%)
Sylvester Stallone
5 (11.6%)
Dwayne Johnson
4 (9.3%)
Michael Clarke Duncan
4 (9.3%)
Dolph Lundgren
1 (2.3%)
Jean-Claude Van Damme
2 (4.7%)
Lou Ferrigno
0 (0%)
Vin Diesel
2 (4.7%)
Carl Weathers
1 (2.3%)
Write-in (name)
2 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 42

celedhring

Inspired by the "best gridiron player turned actor" thread. We are talking real mountains of muscle here, not just fit dudes, who exploited such physiques during their movie career.

The requisite is that they must have based their careers in exploiting their physiques. So no Tom Hardy, Hugh Jackman or Mark Wahlberg, which are buff actors but who have a built a body* of work outside of appearing shirtless in movie posters.

*I'm so good at puns, am I not?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Personally, I'm going with Clarke Duncan. I think he was a fine actor that never got many chances to showcase it (besides Green Mile) because of his hulking physique.

dps

Duncan, easily, though I'm not even entirely sure he belongs on your list--the other guys are mostly known for action movies, and those aren't really what he's known for.  Other than Duncan, probably Stallone.

I'd also say that a lot of these guys, maybe because of their build, are actually under-rated as actors, except Lundgren (who is a really smart guy, but not much of an actor IMO) and maybe Ferrigno (who I've not seen in anything except the old Hulk TV series, where he didn't even get any dialogue).

Martinus

Why not Arnold? He had some dramatic roles and wasn't too bad at them.

celedhring

I almost left out Ferrigno because his career was really short and he didn't even speak in his most famous role. But he's probably one of the buffest actors ever so I kinda felt I had to put him in.

Clarke Duncan almost always played bouncers/hitmen/etc... despite not really being a leading action man. His physique really drove his career.

Eddie Teach

One of the first things I noticed about Sin City 2 was that Dennis Haysbert wasn't nearly as intimidating as Duncan in that role.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Martinus on March 25, 2016, 04:42:19 PM
Why not Arnold? He had some dramatic roles and wasn't too bad at them.

Fun fact, I grew up thinking Arnie was a great actor. The man that voiced him in Spanish dubs had a deep, imposing, baritone voice (he also voiced Darth Vader for example) and was a pretty decent actor himself. Imagine my surprise when I bought my Terminator 2 DVD in the mid-90s and I set the English track to hear him talk for the first time; my world was shattered :lol:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Drakken

If I had to choose which I liked the most, I would have gone with Dolph Lundren. But as the question is about which is the best, I have to go with Ah-nold.

Eddie Teach

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Arnold, hands down.  He is the archetype.  All others merely followed, even Sly.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 25, 2016, 06:26:38 PM
Arnold, hands down.  He is the archetype.  All others merely followed, even Sly.

I got to agree, especially when it's stipulated that muscular actors who can really act don't count.