News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best musclebound actor

Started by celedhring, March 25, 2016, 04:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's the best actor in the proud history of film muscleheads?

Arnold Schwarzenegger
22 (51.2%)
Sylvester Stallone
5 (11.6%)
Dwayne Johnson
4 (9.3%)
Michael Clarke Duncan
4 (9.3%)
Dolph Lundgren
1 (2.3%)
Jean-Claude Van Damme
2 (4.7%)
Lou Ferrigno
0 (0%)
Vin Diesel
2 (4.7%)
Carl Weathers
1 (2.3%)
Write-in (name)
2 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 42

MadImmortalMan

Vin probably has the highest IQ on the list.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 25, 2016, 06:51:25 PM
Vin probably has the highest IQ on the list.

Isn't that Dolph?

Sly is supposed to be highly intelligent too.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on March 25, 2016, 07:01:41 PM

The man gets sold quite a bit short on that front, rather unfairly IMHO.

Drakken

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 25, 2016, 06:50:44 PM
I got to agree, especially when it's stipulated that muscular actors who can really act don't count.

But Sly is an excellent actor, and surprisingly versatile. He best showcased it in Oscar and even in First Blood, which is really a psychological thriller than an action flick.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Drakken on March 25, 2016, 07:20:54 PM
I got to agree, especially when it's stipulated that muscular actors who can really act don't count.

But Sly is an excellent actor, and surprisingly versatile. He best showcased it in Oscar and even in First Blood, which is really a psychological thriller than an action flick.

Yeah, just cast a vote for him and am stunned it's the only one.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

I think Copland was his best.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Dolph is awesome in so many ways but he's not a great actor. Voted Stallone, but I don't feel he really belongs on the list.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on March 25, 2016, 07:32:50 PM

Copland was arguably his best acting since the original Rocky;  but as his career winds down, he's definitely been demonstrating substantially more range (the final Rambo, Creed) almost to the point of making you ask, "Where the hell has THIS Stallone been all this time?"

Monoriu

Either Arnold Schwarzenegger or Stallone.  The trouble with Arnold is that the Chinese translation contains seven characters, and most Chinese names have only 2-4 characters.  In Chinese custom, the translated name usually only contains the last name.  In his case, Schwarzenegger is already five characters long.  Somehow the powers that be insist that his first name be added to an already long, 5-character name. 

Stallone's name is only 3 characters long in Chinese, but it is a really good translation - Si Tai Long.  Si is a real Chinese surname.  Tai is the name of the most mighty mountain in ancient China.  Long is dragon.  It is a very powerful sounding name and also easy to remember. 

I have to go with the governor of California though.  That's just awesome. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on March 25, 2016, 08:21:17 PM
Stallone's name is only 3 characters long in Chinese, but it is a really good translation - Si Tai Long.  Si is a real Chinese surname.  Tai is the name of the most mighty mountain in ancient China.  Long is dragon.  It is a very powerful sounding name and also easy to remember. 

That is not a really good translation. His name doesn't mean Mountain-dragon, it means the first private area when you enter a restroom. Stall One. (Actually it's Italian for stallion, so you should be using something horsey).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: celedhring on March 25, 2016, 07:01:41 PM
Isn't that Dolph?

Dolph went to MIT or some such, didn't he?

E:  Oh.  "Just" a Fulbright Scholarship to MIT, didn't actually go there. 

MadImmortalMan

You have to admit Arnold took what little he was given and made an incredible life out of it. I can't think of anyone more driven.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on March 25, 2016, 07:32:50 PM

I agree, but still don't think he was actually good.  He's just not an actor.  A star, maybe, but no actor.  Think of what  Philip Seymour Hoffman could have done with Stallone's role in Copland.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jaron

Dolph is a god. Anyone voting for anyone else is either trolling this poll or an idiot.

Not only is he powerful and beautiful, he is very smart, a master chemist and mixologist. Some thugs also broke into his house, realized who they were playing, and took their dishonest asses straight up out of there before Dolph educated them on honesty.
Winner of THE grumbler point.