What's the current terrorism threat level where you are?

Started by Brazen, March 23, 2016, 07:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Zero, though deer crashing into me at dusk/night in the forest do pose an elevated risk.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

11B4V

FPCON ALPHA: What we should be in.

FPCON BRAVO: What the base CO has us in to piss people off

FPCON CHARLIE: When Never Cant Investigate Shit says something is going to happen but they don't know who, where, when, or how. The base CO flips out.

FPCON DELTA: When the Federal Bureau of Incompetence or the Department of Homeland Bullshit says something is going to happen but they don't know who, where, when, or how. When the Navy flips out.

After 10 years with the Navy now, I can say it is a strange service. Bizarre more times than not.

Their enlisted leaders are very weak overall. Their officers are corporate types.

and don't get me started on the nucs and submariners.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 23, 2016, 03:30:17 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 23, 2016, 03:24:17 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 23, 2016, 01:30:25 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 23, 2016, 07:31:03 AM
It wasn't raised but I can't find the actual level. I am going to call it "Very Low".

Have you forgotten already?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_shootings_at_Parliament_Hill,_Ottawa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu_ramming_attack

Depends if you consider all of Canada of just where we specifically live&work.
In my case, the risk is non existent.

I would have thought the risk in Saint Jean sur Richelieu would be non existent as well.  But I would have been wrong.
Touché.  But there's a military academy: http://www.cmrsj-rmcsj.forces.gc.ca/index-eng.asp
So, more at risk than me.

Honestly, if someone wanted to detonate a bomb at work today, there'd be 1 dead (him) and one lightly injured (me), so, risk, not much.  I'm pretty confident I would have time to duck under my desk and the small wall would absord most of the blast/shrapnell before he could detonate.

Given I work from home, don't use public transit system, only go seldomly in town to shop, yeah, the risk is still pretty much non existent.  There is nothing of symbolic value here, except schools.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

I work in First Canadian Place, so in one of the most prominent downtown towers, in one of the most busy areas of downtown Toronto. A perfect place for a terrorist strike.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Worse than me Malthus, but I do work in a provincial government office building, right across the street from the courthouse.  I'm not so worried about islamic terrorism (they're more likely to hit the federal government building down the street), but home-grown anti-government types?  YOu never know, we have had some (non-lethal) instances in the past...

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on March 23, 2016, 08:53:13 PM
and don't get me started on the nucs and submariners.

Guess why the nuclear power industry is as screwed up as it is...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on March 24, 2016, 01:22:28 PM
Worse than me Malthus, but I do work in a provincial government office building, right across the street from the courthouse.  I'm not so worried about islamic terrorism (they're more likely to hit the federal government building down the street), but home-grown anti-government types?  YOu never know, we have had some (non-lethal) instances in the past...

All of our federal government facilities down here, it's still Workplace Violence/Active Shooter as the #1 concern.