Is violence against civilians sometimes justified?

Started by Grinning_Colossus, March 23, 2016, 10:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is violence against civilians sometimes justified?

Yes, it is sometimes justified
14 (40%)
No, it is never justified
21 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on March 26, 2016, 09:50:44 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 26, 2016, 09:31:29 PM
Of course not.
By modern standards the people of WW2 were fucked up

WW2 made everybody lose their shit and do horrible things. But are we really any better? I don't think so.

Hmmm, that is actually a really good question.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on March 26, 2016, 09:37:15 PM
If the majority wills it, violence against minorities is always justified.

You mean like when an Illinois mob killed Joe Smith?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 26, 2016, 09:55:26 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: That was a vigilante mob action, not will of the majority.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Phillip V

I may say no, but will probably engage in yes.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jaron on March 26, 2016, 10:11:18 PM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: That was a vigilante mob action, not will of the majority.

The extermination order was the will of the Majority in Missouri.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2016, 11:17:47 PM
Quote from: Jaron on March 26, 2016, 10:11:18 PM

The extermination order was the will of the Majority in Missouri.

No, that isn't so.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

grumbler

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on March 26, 2016, 06:45:32 PM
Wow, my expectations were really off. I guess the ghost of Curtis LeMay has finally stopped haunting Languish and passed on to Valhalla.

I have no idea what you even started the thread to debate.  "Is violence against civilians sometimes justified?" Of course it is.   Self-defense allows me to use violence against a civilian to protect myself or others.  I can even organize with another person to collectively use violence in self-defense.

If we are talking war, then, no, the civilians cannot be the target of violence.  Hiroshima and Dresden were not targeting civilians.

If we are talking terrorism, I don't even know why you think it could be justified.

There are gray areas:  was the bombing of the King David Hotel an illegal attack on civilians, given that the hotel was being used as a headquarters by the British military and the bomb was planted under that portion of the hotel?  You can debate cases of whether or not the collateral damage was excessive, but I don't see that you can debate whether or not attacks targeting civilians as civilians can be justified.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Of course not.
They were not fucked up, they were fighting a total war.  And we'd do it today if we fought a total war like that, had nukes not redefined the concept of total war.

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on March 28, 2016, 09:09:12 PM
Of course not.
They were not fucked up, they were fighting a total war.  And we'd do it today if we fought a total war like that, had nukes not redefined the concept of total war.

I'm not so sure.
In a way strategic bombing had a justification. Targeting wasn't particularly good and they wanted to knock out the enemy's industry. Plastering whole cities was the only way to be sure. Particularly with Japan.
But....it went beyond that and into pure terrorism. Killing civilians just for the sake of it in some belief that this would lower morale and hasten the end of the war. This in the modern world is just not appropriate. And besides, it's a waste of resources. It doesn't work. 
Since we have much better targeting these days even hitting a whole city in order to hit industry isn't necessary
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on March 29, 2016, 01:17:38 AM
I'm not so sure.
In a way strategic bombing had a justification. Targeting wasn't particularly good and they wanted to knock out the enemy's industry. Plastering whole cities was the only way to be sure. Particularly with Japan.
But....it went beyond that and into pure terrorism. Killing civilians just for the sake of it in some belief that this would lower morale and hasten the end of the war. This in the modern world is just not appropriate. And besides, it's a waste of resources. It doesn't work. 
Since we have much better targeting these days even hitting a whole city in order to hit industry isn't necessary

I know that "the Allies committed terrorism" is a popular narrative, but do you have any actual historical evidence that this was true?  That there was a plan that involved "Killing civilians just for the sake of it?"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Norgy

I guess it boils down to "Is violence justifiable". And, yes, it is.

Self-defence, protecting your loved ones. Those are prime examples of justifiable violence. If you mean Glasgow kissing the next person you meet, well, less so.

One thing about us humans, we always manage to justify our actions in some way.

The Brain

If you dehouse people at night, using bombs, you leave yourself open to charges of targeting civilians.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

That's why I tend not to do that. As a general rule.