Is violence against civilians sometimes justified?

Started by Grinning_Colossus, March 23, 2016, 10:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is violence against civilians sometimes justified?

Yes, it is sometimes justified
14 (40%)
No, it is never justified
21 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on March 31, 2016, 06:48:56 PM
Well, Grumbler is really defensive on this issue, isn't he?  I wonder what he was doing in the navy.

He set Majorian's fleet afire at Cathago Nova.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 31, 2016, 06:53:31 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 31, 2016, 06:48:56 PM
Well, Grumbler is really defensive on this issue, isn't he?  I wonder what he was doing in the navy.

He set Majorian's fleet afire at Cathago Nova.

But at least he was targeting the oars, and not the galley slaves.

Ed Anger

CountDeMoney

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 31, 2016, 07:15:16 PM
Grumblah Ben-Hurl

the hurl part was certainly true of my second deployment to the Indian Ocean.  That's when I realized what the handles on the trash cans were really designed for...
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

I bet that whole side of the fucking planet smells like feet.

Ed Anger

Razgovory

A little more on topic, it's quite easy to believe that the US army lied to itself, and rather difficult to reconcile statements about not targeting civilian targets and dehousing.  I mean, a house is a civilian structure.  Unless it has been militarized and is a danger to bomber pilots they are civilian targets.  The US did build a Japanese and German housing in Utah and dropped bombs on them see how best to burn them down.  Unless they were testing what not to do, that sure looks like an effort to destroy civilian targets.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: grumblerI'd be surprised to find that the British, who were coordinating their efforts so closely with the Americans, would have had a completely different targeting strategy, since bothwere governed by the Casablanca Directiv, which stated that...

Quote...1. Your Primary object will be the progressive destruction and dislocation of the German military, industrial, and economic system, and the undermining of the morale of the German people to a point where their capacity for armed resistance is fatally weakened.

They weren't specifically trying to kill civilians, per se, they were trying to target civilian morale.  And yes, the general British targeting strategy did differ radically from that of the Americans, not as to aims, but as to methods.  Nighttime area bombing, IMO, was essentially terror bombing.  And frankly, I don't really have a problem with that in the context of the times.

grumbler

Quote from: dps on March 31, 2016, 10:39:34 PM
They weren't specifically trying to kill civilians, per se, they were trying to target civilian morale.  And yes, the general British targeting strategy did differ radically from that of the Americans, not as to aims, but as to methods.  Nighttime area bombing, IMO, was essentially terror bombing.  And frankly, I don't really have a problem with that in the context of the times.

Terror bombing in the sense that they wanted the people to be constantly afraid that their night's rest will be shattered by air raid sirens and they will have to go to the shelters, and come out to find their homes gone, yes.  This is a far cry from "killing civilians for the sake of it," which is, after all, the argument I am opposing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Norgy

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 01, 2016, 04:27:41 AM
Quote from: dps on March 31, 2016, 10:39:34 PM

Terror bombing in the sense that they wanted the people to be constantly afraid that their night's rest will be shattered by air raid sirens and they will have to go to the shelters, and come out to find their homes gone, yes.  This is a far cry from "killing civilians for the sake of it," which is, after all, the argument I am opposing.

So Allied air forces restricted themselves into only bombing areas with adequate air shelters?  Cause burning someone's house down when you know they are likely to be in it sounds a lot like trying to kill people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

They'd "come out" and find their homes shattered, as Germans were notoriously slutty back in the day. And a bit gay.