News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Paris secondment - should I accept?

Started by Martinus, March 14, 2016, 12:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

celedhring

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 15, 2016, 05:17:24 PM
A cat needs a passport?  :lol:

It's to certify that the animal is healthy, vaccinated, and thus avoid quarantining.

MadImmortalMan

Isn't Poland in schengen? What's to stop you from just putting the cat in the car and going to France with it?

State to state. No papers.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2016, 05:47:01 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 15, 2016, 05:43:09 PM
One queen only, please.

Did you mean to post that in Der's thread?

Because mine totally was not a parody of this one.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Admiral Yi

derspiess

I am.  I wouldn't have made a thread out if it under normal circumstances, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Norgy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 15, 2016, 05:17:24 PM
A cat needs a passport?  :lol:

Yeah, that is an actual thing. Marty's cat Rufus needs a health certificate to travel.
You may laugh about it, but this is a continent where rabies is mostly a Russian or Turkish thing.
You know, Putin. And Erdogan.

Capetan Mihali

I was surprised to see that most of Europe has entirely eradicated rabies, which is pretty good work considering what a terrifying ("hydrophobia") and deadly (100% fatality rate if you miss the very short window for post-infection treatment, and that's with today's medicine) disease it has been

The US, Canada, and Australia do still have rabies cases, but AFAIK, it's been eradicated in dogs, etc., and bats are the vector.  I think almost all the rabies cases in the US are from bat bites, and it's general medical advice to get post-exposure treatment right away if you wake up with a bat in your room, even without any visible punctures.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 15, 2016, 11:05:07 PM
I was surprised to see that most of Europe has entirely eradicated rabies, which is pretty good work considering what a terrifying ("hydrophobia") and deadly (100% fatality rate if you miss the very short window for post-infection treatment, and that's with today's medicine) disease it has been

The US, Canada, and Australia do still have rabies cases, but AFAIK, it's been eradicated in dogs, etc., and bats are the vector.  I think almost all the rabies cases in the US are from bat bites, and it's general medical advice to get post-exposure treatment right away if you wake up with a bat in your room, even without any visible punctures.

Raccoons are still an acknowledged vector for most of the eastern US.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 15, 2016, 11:08:29 PM
Raccoons are still an acknowledged vector for most of the eastern US.

True, and they do infect domestic "outdoor" cats.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)