The Wachowski Siblings are now the Wachowski Sisters

Started by Martinus, March 09, 2016, 11:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Also, regarding the Matrix films, the first one is the most classic hero story you could imagine (and very well realized on that regard), all the mumbo jumbo is just cool window dressing. Here's this guy, with a mundane life, weird dude comes and tells him he has powers, at first he's crap at using those powers, then he embraces his true destiny and becomes good at those powers and beats the bad dudes and saves the good dudes. The end.

In the following ones, the problem is that the mumbo jumbo took over.

lustindarkness

Wait what? One of them has been a woman for a while now? :blink:

Edit: I suk at grammar.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 09, 2016, 04:19:17 PM
My one significant beef with the Matrixverse was the First Law of Thermodynamics.  There was no new energy going into the power supply, and plenty being consumed by body function.

You just have to write that off as bad storytelling.  Better writers would have come up with a better motive for the aliens to be doing their thing, but the writing for the Matrix was good enough to make the movie enjoyable.  What they did to V for Vendetta was far worse.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on March 09, 2016, 05:29:13 PM
Also, regarding the Matrix films, the first one is the most classic hero story you could imagine (and very well realized on that regard), all the mumbo jumbo is just cool window dressing. Here's this guy, with a mundane life, weird dude comes and tells him he has powers, at first he's crap at using those powers, then he embraces his true destiny and becomes good at those powers and beats the bad dudes and saves the good dudes. The end.

In the following ones, the problem is that the mumbo jumbo took over.

Correct. There was no reason whatever to make the sequels, except that there seemed to be money laying on the table.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 09, 2016, 05:31:10 PM
Wait what? One of them has been a woman for a while now? :blink:

Edit: I suk at grammar.

Since at least 2010.

Re: The Matrix films, I remember that I was not as impressed by the first back in the day, I thought it was ok but not more than that, and it had a bit of a pretentious vibe. When I watched the first sequel I felt cheated by all the mumbo jumbo, and never watched the last one.

derspiess

First one was a fun action movie.  Sequels shouldn't have been made.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

maybe the second brother did it for artistic purposes

@matrix: for the sequels, I don't remember being turned off by anything ridiculous. was more poor execution/ideas for some of those scenes. some characters were lacking, too. maybe it had to do with screen time. original matrix is somewhat narrow in scope; it's the sequels that got "epic" in a really shitty/bad way.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Barrister on March 09, 2016, 04:36:22 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 09, 2016, 04:33:05 PM
Quote from: dps on March 09, 2016, 04:16:18 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 09, 2016, 03:15:36 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 09, 2016, 03:05:03 PM
The Matrix was good fun.

Sure, but you have to accept the rules of the universe it exists in. Once you do that, the sequels are decent fun too.

Yeah, but I had a problem with that in the first movie, too.  Specifically, the part about if you died in the Matrix, you died for real.  Sure, that made sense for people who hadn't been freed from the Matrix, but if you were out of the Matrix and went back in on a mission, you had been trained to know that the Matrix wasn't real--that's why you could do all the bullet time stuff.  But if you know it's not real, it seems to me that dying there would be sort of like your character dying in a CRPG--it might kind of suck, but you know it didn't actually happen.

Of course, on a meta level, you kind of need that--otherwise, there's no risk to the heroes while they're in the Matrix.  Well, other than the traitor who's murdering their bodies while their minds are in the Matrix, but that's different from the Agents actually being a direct threat.

Just because you know doesn't mean that the biological part of you (your brain) would be able to sort out the electrical impulses and say hey, this isn't actual pain and death.

Yeah, that could be explained away easily enough - it's such a shock to the system that your brain thinks you're dead, and therefore you are.

Yi's point about thermodynamics is better, but it's essential to the overall theme of the movie so you just have to roll with it.

I don't disagree on an intellectual level, but watching the movie at the time, the death thing just took me out of it.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on March 09, 2016, 02:58:35 PM
Yeah I thought the Matrix was pretty cingeworthy. I admit to even being somewhat relieved the sequels destroyed its cult status...which was petty of me I admit.

Cult status? It was a box office hit and remains renowned as one of the greatest science fiction films ever made. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 09, 2016, 08:53:18 PM
Yeah I thought the Matrix was pretty cingeworthy. I admit to even being somewhat relieved the sequels destroyed its cult status...which was petty of me I admit.

Cult status? It was a box office hit and remains renowned as one of the greatest science fiction films ever made. 

Oh FFS.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on March 09, 2016, 09:08:42 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 09, 2016, 08:53:18 PM

Oh FFS.

Um, he has a point.  It was a huge hit and is still well-regarded (87% fresh on rottentomatoes).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on March 09, 2016, 11:17:52 PM
Um, he has a point.  It was a huge hit and is still well-regarded (87% fresh on rottentomatoes).

I am well aware of that. I simply meant it had a fanatical following.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

A lot of people think it's watchable(RT rating) != "one of the greatest sci-fi films ever made"
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?