Man removed from UK flight over 'prayer' message on phone

Started by garbon, March 04, 2016, 06:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on April 18, 2016, 03:54:37 PM
I regularly talk about Odin on airplanes and I have yet to be thrown out.

People probably assume you are talking about Marvel comics.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 18, 2016, 05:09:01 PM
Quote from: Maximus on April 18, 2016, 05:03:00 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 18, 2016, 04:45:47 PM
Which would you prefer, a system where there is 1 false positive and 1 false negative over 1 million passengers, or one where there are 10 false positives and 0 false negatives over the same span? If you pick the second, isn't that implying the false positive is categorically better?
Not at all; that just implies that in this particular data set the outcome is the same. To say that more false positives are always better is to say that an optimal solution is to classify everything is positive.

A single false positive is always better than a single false negative.

The wrongfully convicted will likely disagree with that broad statement.

Eddie Teach

I was talking about suspected terrorists on planes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 18, 2016, 09:07:01 PM

Yes.  Don't you think it would be better for a false positive to occur in the case of serious crimes?  You would risk a mass murderer going free?   ;)

The point is your logic is a very old excuse for extreme, disproportionate responses to perceived risks. 

Eddie Teach

Sure, once you divorce it from the context and alter the meaning it could be used that way.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2016, 09:41:41 PM

The point is your logic is a very old excuse for extreme, disproportionate responses to perceived risks. 

If this were an example of an extreme, disproportionate response to a perceived risk, then that would be a reasonable point.

And when someone uses the excuse of terrorism to engage in activities that are clearly NOT about terrorism, then it would be perfectly reasonable for people to point that out - but the details actually matter. Just because it it possible that something might be mis-used, is not an argument that a particular case is an example of something being mis-used.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2016, 04:21:51 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2016, 02:30:19 PM
I am conflicted on this. On one hand it's an overreaction and an inconvenience for the passenger, clearly. On the other hand I can see how "better safe than sorry" is a policy one would employ when dealing with dozens of people potentially getting killed.

You mean like prohibiting gays from working in a hospital because they have a significantly higher chance of having AIDs?

...Which can be checked with an easy medical test (I assume people who work at a hospital get those regularly). On the other hand, I am fine with prohibiting gays from donating blood.

By the way, it's AIDS, not AIDs (it's not a plural of AID). :contract:

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 18, 2016, 09:41:41 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 18, 2016, 09:07:01 PM

Yes.  Don't you think it would be better for a false positive to occur in the case of serious crimes?  You would risk a mass murderer going free?   ;)

That's like arguing whether "the end justifies the means" is always right or wrong in abstracto. Outside of a high school debate class, it is rarely a fruitful way to spend time.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on April 19, 2016, 12:07:03 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2016, 04:21:51 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2016, 02:30:19 PM
I am conflicted on this. On one hand it's an overreaction and an inconvenience for the passenger, clearly. On the other hand I can see how "better safe than sorry" is a policy one would employ when dealing with dozens of people potentially getting killed.

You mean like prohibiting gays from working in a hospital because they have a significantly higher chance of having AIDs?

...Which can be checked with an easy medical test (I assume people who work at a hospital get those regularly). On the other hand, I am fine with prohibiting gays from donating blood.

By the way, it's AIDS, not AIDs (it's not a plural of AID). :contract:

That's not an answer.  If people are more at risk by having gays work in a hospital, should gays be allowed to work in hospitals?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

But that's not a comparable analogy - noone is arguing that people who speak Arabic should not be allowed on planes. Instead, we are arguing whether the airport staff have acted reasonably by wanting to check a man who was heard saying a popular terrorist catch phrase before allowing him back on a plane.

So, in your analogy, if a very thin gay man, with sunken eyes, and weird leshions applies to work at a hospital, it is not unreasonable for the hospital staff to first run some blood tests before letting him assist with surgery. And even after they have run such tests, it is not out of the realm of possibility that some patients may be alarmed without being homophobic.

Eddie Teach

It's not a catch phrase, it's a common expression.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 19, 2016, 02:47:59 AM

Yeah but it is one that terrorists often use. It does not mean anyone who uses the phrase is a terrorist but is a red flag.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on April 19, 2016, 04:05:55 AM

Yeah but it is one that terrorists often use. It does not mean anyone who uses the phrase is a terrorist but is a red flag.

Terrorists also often use "you," "the" and "maybe."  Should everyone who says those words in Arabic on airplanes be removed?  Inshallah is not a red flag.  It can't be.  It is way too common.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: grumbler on April 19, 2016, 04:54:54 AM

Terrorists also often use "you," "the" and "maybe."  Should everyone who says those words in Arabic on airplanes be removed?  Inshallah is not a red flag.  It can't be.  It is way too common.

Agreed, it is almost the same as saying that speaking Arabic is a red flag.

Berkut

That is nuts. It is a common one that Muslims use all the time.

Now, it isn't terribly surprising that someone might not know that, and react totally incorrectly to hearing it, and go and say something to the flight attendant.

*In general* we probably want the public to be willing to say something when they see something they think is concerning. However, that means we are going to see a LOT of false alarms.

The question is, what should the people in the "first line of defense" do when someone comes up to them and says "I heard that person over there say something in Arabic, and I think it might have had something to do with terrorism..."?

This is not an easy question to answer. If we ask the public to "see something, say something" then we know that most the time they say something, it is likely because they saw something that is completely harmless. So how do we apply reasonable filters so that we aren't yanking people off of planes for no good reason?

Now, this is a particular example, and we don't even know at all whether this was the system working as intended, or actually a mistake. Perhaps stuff like this happens all the time, and a competent flight attendant would say "Thanks for your letting me know, but that term is really not indicative of a problem - I will go chat with them though. Thanks!". Then they go have a quick innocuous chat with the person, realize it is nothing, and everyone goes about their day. Maybe this happens 50 times, and this is the 1 time that the flight attendant was new, or uncomfortable, or whatever, so it escalated further than it should have...? Who knows?

Maybe this happens all the time, and it is a serious problem with people being needlessly harassed. I suspect if that was the case, there would be a lot more stories like this - instead we get one offs everyone once in a great while.

Whatever system we have, there will be cases where the system works as intended, but we get a result we don't want, in which case the system needs to be tweaked. But how do you tell if a particular story is the system working as intended, or the system NOT working properly? Especially given the media's known dishonesty in how they often report this kind of thing?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned