News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Article: "Bring back DDT, and science with it"

Started by Siege, February 29, 2016, 09:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

I saw some dude claiming the ban on DDT had killed millions of people. I was skeptical of it, so i goohle the thing and found this article from 2002.

So, any opinions on DDT?
Is the ban justified?
Its the science behind the ban accurate?

https://www.21stcenturysciencetech.com/articles/summ02/DDT.html

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

Damned near wiped out the bald eagle and the California condor in the 1970s.

Siege

This is a critique of the book that started the push for the ban, Silent Spring by Rachel Carson.

https://www.21stcenturysciencetech.com/articles/summ02/Carson.html

Siege

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 29, 2016, 10:05:27 PM
Damned near wiped out the bald eagle and the California condor in the 1970s.

Is this a fact?
I mean, was it scientifically linked to DDT?

CountDeMoney

Depends if you believe the EPA, the FDA, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service or Fox News.

But it is interesting to note that once blanket DDT spraying was banned, the nesting rates for eagles, condors and ospreys began to recover tremendously after just a decade, once they could get calcium levels back up into their shells.

Razgovory

I got to the second paragraph and stopped.  I take it you have no idea who Lyndon LaRouche is, do you Siege?  DDT is no longer used in the US, and was banned, but has also long since been supplanted by other similar insecticides.  It is still used in some countries, but not many.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

11B4V

Quote from: Siege on February 29, 2016, 09:58:29 PM
I saw some dude claiming the ban on DDT had killed millions of people. I was skeptical of it, so i goohle the thing and found this article from 2002.

So, any opinions on DDT?
Is the ban justified?

Hell, let's start putting lead back in household paint, so you can eat the chips. :lol:  Goofball.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

dps

Quote from: 11B4V on March 01, 2016, 12:08:52 AM

So, any opinions on DDT?
Is the ban justified?

Hell, let's start putting lead back in household paint, so you can eat the chips. :lol:  Goofball.

That might actually go a good ways toward explaining Siegy.

Siege

Quote from: 11B4V on March 01, 2016, 12:08:52 AM

So, any opinions on DDT?
Is the ban justified?

Well, the lead ban is justified.
Plenty of research to prove it.

But i don't see how you can extrapolate that into banning all sort of things. How are lead and DDT  related?

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 29, 2016, 10:28:20 PM
Depends if you believe the EPA, the FDA, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service or Fox News.

But it is interesting to note that once blanket DDT spraying was banned, the nesting rates for eagles, condors and ospreys began to recover tremendously after just a decade, once they could get calcium levels back up into their shells.

Why do you hate science?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

I stopped reading the article after the first sentence.

DDT is highly toxic to certain wildlife and there is evidence that it can contribute to chronic effects in humans as well.

However, it was quite effective as a pesticide and thus there could have been an argument for its use in countries that have very significant problems with mosquito borne disease.  Such an argument raises complex moral and practical questions, and is not usefully furthered by accusations of mass Nazi genocide.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Larch

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 01, 2016, 11:18:40 AMHowever, it was quite effective as a pesticide and thus there could have been an argument for its use in countries that have very significant problems with mosquito borne disease.

AFAIK DDT was only banned for its mass agricultural use, not for disease control, and it's still manufactured and used for it nowadays.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 01, 2016, 11:18:40 AM
I stopped reading the article after the first sentence.

DDT is highly toxic to certain wildlife and there is evidence that it can contribute to chronic effects in humans as well.

However, it was quite effective as a pesticide and thus there could have been an argument for its use in countries that have very significant problems with mosquito borne disease.  Such an argument raises complex moral and practical questions, and is not usefully furthered by accusations of mass Nazi genocide.

The next Paragraph has "now being championed by that very electable candidate for the Democratic Presidential nomination, Lyndon H. LaRouche, Jr., had better be at the top of your agenda." which tells you we just entered wacky-land.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maladict

That site is a hoot. If I had known my carbon offsets caused genocide I would have travelled a lot more.