Homophobe Hungarian tourist rams banjo down N. Zealander's throat over gay error

Started by Syt, June 29, 2009, 11:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Banjo rammed down man's throat, jury told

A Hungarian tourist used a banjo to beat a 69-year-old man before ramming the broken-off neck down his throat, a jury in the High Court at Auckland was told today.

Ferdinand Ambach, 32, a dive master in Hungary, has pleaded not guilty to murdering Ronald Brown in Onehunga, Auckland.

The jury was sworn in this morning and this afternoon was taken by bus and shown several premises where the accused went on the night of the incident -- an internet cafe, a bar, a liquor store and Mr Brown's flat.

Ambach was led around the premises in handcuffs, flanked by three security guards. Traffic in Onehunga was brought to a standstill as the convoy of 10 vehicles made its way through.

Mr Brown's battered body was found at his flat in the early hours of December 7, 2007. He died three days later in hospital after his life support was switched off.

The jury, of three men and nine women, was told by Crown prosecutor Nick Williams that Mr Brown was assaulted with a 2.7kg banjo. He was struck to the head with a number of blows.

The accused allegedly met Mr Brown in 306 Bar in Onehunga, before he went back to his flat.

Mr Williams told the jury there was a misunderstanding between the men, with Mr Brown wrongly thinking Ambach was gay.

A heated argument broke out between them, where Ambach is accused of severely beating Mr Brown with a banjo about the head.

Mr Brown was struck five times before Ambach rammed the broken -off neck of the banjo down Mr Brown's throat.

When police arrived on the scene, they found Mr Brown badly injured and Ambach yelling in Hungarian. He was throwing furniture through an upstairs window and on to the lawn.

Ambach told police in an interview he could only remember parts of what happened that night.

Mr Williams told the jury they would have to decide whether Ambach's actions caused Mr Brown injury, whether he knew those injuries would cause death, and whether he was reckless.

"The accused didn't just hit him once to disable him. He hit him again and again and again in the head with a solid metal object," Mr Williams said.

The court was told 65 witnesses would be called throughout the trial, which was expected to last three weeks.

The witnesses would include family and friends of Mr Brown, the owner of an internet cafe where the accused went on the night, the owner of the Onehunga liquor centre where the accused and Mr Brown bought alcohol, and neighbours who saw and heard things that night.

The jury was told Mr Brown suffered facial bruising, a skull fracture and multiple bruises consistent with blunt force trauma. He died as a result of head injuries.

Peter Kaye, defending Ambach, said the jury must look at various issues , including whether the accused's actions were intentional or voluntary, and whether he had a "sudden and temporary loss of self control".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

QuoteMr Williams told the jury there was a misunderstanding between the men, with Mr Brown wrongly thinking Ambach was gay.

The prosecutor sounds a little odd.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on June 29, 2009, 12:06:14 PM
Serves him right.  The guy was half his age!
The old guy told him that he could, 'play him like a violin'.  His thick accent led to misunderstandings.
PDH!

The Brain

What is it about Hungarians and being gay? Is there not a single straight one?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

QuotePeter Kaye, defending Ambach, said the jury must look at various issues , including whether the accused's actions were intentional or voluntary, and whether he had a "sudden and temporary loss of self control".

I am going to have to say that somebody capable of losing control to the point they brutally murder somebody they do not even know probably should be locked up forever anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Well, Eastern European gays are such a wretched breed, it makes sense that the Hungarian was so angry.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Larch

He probably said something like "Do you want to come to my place, bouncy bouncy?" or "You have beautiful thighs" or "Please fondle my bum" out of his phrasebook.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on June 29, 2009, 01:59:59 PM
Hmm, never thought my banjo could be used as a deadly weapon :shifty:

Do they hand those out instead of diplomas at the University of West Virginia?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

Quote from: Savonarola on June 29, 2009, 02:01:34 PM
Do they hand those out instead of diplomas at the University of West Virginia?

Not familiar with that school, but at WVU they are required of all underclassmen.  And I didn't go there, btw :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on June 29, 2009, 02:19:14 PM

Not familiar with that school, but at WVU they are required of all underclassmen.  And I didn't go there, btw :(

My mistake, so why do you have a banjo?  Were you in a minstrel show?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock