Soon illegal to perform private paternity tests in Germany?

Started by Drakken, June 26, 2009, 09:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2009, 05:36:22 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 29, 2009, 05:34:40 PM
Okay, then I don't think we have any disagreement. I originally posted for this to be mediated by a judge, who presumably wouldn't be turning over a kid to a sperm donor parent when an actual parent was around and living up to his obligations.

Which brings me back to the point of why the father in fact would even have to face that kind of process if he fufilled all his fatherly duties.

I can see no justification for any court interference unless he abdicates his responsibilities.

That is fine with me. The only reason I mentioned the idea of some visitation rights is because you and Malthus were saying how payment obligations needed to be matched with rights. Some visitation in that case does seem fair, but if he isn't paying there certainly isn't a reason to get involved there.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2009, 05:28:15 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 29, 2009, 04:54:36 PM
I'm wanting to create a system that takes into account the fact that many fathers do abdicate their responsibility, and maximizes the opportunity of the child to receive support payments.

But in doing so you would intrude on the rights of fathers who do no abdicate their reponsibilities.  Not very sound social policy there.  Why not create a system that only takes away the rights of fathers in fact, if they do abdicate their responsbilities.  If that were so I would have no quarrel with you.

The only quarrel I have is that you propose a system that some sperm donor can, as of right, assert some limited form of custody rights.  When I try to put myself in that kind of situation I shudder at the thought.

It's an over-generalization, because you have 50 different state systems to deal with, but in most jurisdictions in the US, a biological parent will win a custody battle with an adoptive or foster parent in the vast majority of cases.

Of course, the typical case of this involves a biological mother, often a drug addict or with severe psychological problems (or both) who gave up a child for adoption at birth and shows up years later and tries to get back custody from the adoptive parents, so it's not the same situation.

Palisadoes

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2009, 05:37:22 PM
Quote from: Palisadoes on June 29, 2009, 05:35:47 PM
I agree. Women should definitely stay at home and raise the kids rather than going to work. :alberta:

Ok, not sure how you got from dads who would walk away from their kids if they found out they were not the biological fathers to that statement....
You said: "I think all prospective parents should be tested for suitability". A suitable parent is one that is there for their kids (hence I agree). I then said that women should stay at home for the kids, rather than work, so they can definitely be there more for the kids. If fathers are more likely to walk out on their kids then the reduced responsibility by not having to be there as much as the mother would surely reduce the number of men doing this?

I guess I'm just old-fashioned.