The Technological Singularity and super intelligence revolution

Started by Siege, February 23, 2016, 08:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on February 23, 2016, 09:32:32 PM
Oh I would, if only he wasn't under the protection of Neil.

Excuses, excuses. Neil is never here; he wouldn't notice it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2016, 09:50:05 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2016, 09:22:02 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 23, 2016, 08:55:10 PM
His source is himself.  Exactly what is an increment of "human progress"?  How do you measure such a thing?

Well you can make predictions based on past progress. You know, like Moore's Law...not actually a law but based on an educated guess.

Moore's law is based on a discrete measurement.  The speed of computers.  "Progress", is far more nebulous.  How do we know the rate of "progress" has increased exponentially rather then linearly over the last 20 years?  To make a graph (which is what this is based on), you need actual numbers to be plotted.  For the numbers to be plotted you need to measure "human progress" in increments.  How the hell do you do that?  Also the idea that someone would just die because they saw advanced technology is silly.  The author claims that if we took a man from 1750 and brought him to the modern day he might just die of shock.  To get a similar situation you would need to get someone from 1750 to 10,000 BC.  Here's the kicker, we have had people interact  with such wildly different levels of technology.  When the English first started to arrive in Australia, they met a people who hadn't developed agriculture.  Their material was about close to that of people in 10,000 BC were were isolated from the rest of humanity for 40,000 years.  These people encounters late 18th century and early 19th century technology.  Those people did not all just drop dead. 

Very bad example.
Contact with the autralasians was gradual and in their territory.
Now, if you would have taught an Australian aboriginal to speak english, and then show him England, London to be exact, then maybe.

Then again, the shock factor only really works when it is you watching your own culture in the future. If the cultural difference is too great you would write it off as magic and deal with it.
When you are watching your own culture, something you understand, you would not write it off as magic, and be shocked to death. Potentially.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Bottom line, my goal is to make you all "singularity aware ", and i will collect cool points when it actually happens by being the first one to bring it up here in languish.

It is a very selfish way to redeem myself for being the slowest guy in languish.

alfred russel

Quote from: Siege on February 24, 2016, 08:41:49 AM
Bottom line, my goal is to make you all "singularity aware ", and i will collect cool points when it actually happens by being the first one to bring it up here in languish.

It is a very selfish way to redeem myself for being the slowest guy in languish.

Siege, thank you for talking about the singularity. Many visionaries have been ridiculed in the past. Of course most people with visions have psychological problems or are under the influence of drugs, but those are disabilities that should not be ridiculed anyways.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Siege, FWIW, I prefer you talking about singularity over you talking about almost anything else.  :hug:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on February 24, 2016, 10:59:14 AM
Siege, FWIW, I prefer you talking about singularity over you talking about almost anything else.  :hug:

I prefer his early Saturday morning drunken outpourings.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on February 24, 2016, 08:38:18 AM

Very bad example.
Contact with the autralasians was gradual and in their territory.
Now, if you would have taught an Australian aboriginal to speak english, and then show him England, London to be exact, then maybe.

Then again, the shock factor only really works when it is you watching your own culture in the future. If the cultural difference is too great you would write it off as magic and deal with it.
When you are watching your own culture, something you understand, you would not write it off as magic, and be shocked to death. Potentially.

No, it wasn't "gradual" and why wouldn't you write it off as "magic" if wasn't your own culture?  It's pretty much impossible for it to be your culture anyway, since that amount of time passing would make it no longer your culture. The idea that the technology would be so shocking that it would cause people to die is simply untrue, we have examples of it.  The question is why you would even think that would be true?  There is absolutely no indication that this would be true besides what some guy on the internet says.  He doesn't really back up what he says, or give a medical reason why it might be true, it just is true.  That's insufficient.  Especially when I can find counter examples.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: katmai on February 23, 2016, 09:23:23 PM
Can someone please explain to me why I shouldn't send this to deleted thread like all the other nonsense shit spam we get from sock puppets like siege?

Because it is a really interesting article.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Siege

11B4V

Quote from: Siege on February 24, 2016, 08:41:49 AM

Eh, I'd rather be climate aware. Much more important issue.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on February 24, 2016, 09:56:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 24, 2016, 05:46:29 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictions_made_by_Ray_Kurzweil#The_Age_of_Intelligent_Machines_.281990.29

Kurzweil hasn't been particularly good at predicting the future.

Wikipedia? I raise you Big Think.com

http://bigthink.com/endless-innovation/why-ray-kurzweils-predictions-are-right-86-of-the-time

He doesn't even say which predictions are correct :lol:  Try again, Siege.  I don't know why you are so into the "rapture of nerds".  You already have a god, why are so obsessed with creating another?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

No clue, but he's a bit of crank.  I did find the source that Ray Kurzweil's predictions are 87% true.  It's from Ray Kurzweil!

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on February 25, 2016, 05:39:00 AM
No clue, but he's a bit of crank.  I did find the source that Ray Kurzweil's predictions are 87% true.  It's from Ray Kurzweil!

That counts, right. :(
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".