Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

dps

OttoVonBismarck

I wasn't aware Charleston WV was still a going concern. I had a relative who was from there (now deceased) so have been in that town a few times. I thought when all the chem plants closed that town died, there has to be better job markets in any nearby city like Louisville/Columbus/Pittsburgh.

Archy

Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2016, 09:45:17 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 14, 2016, 04:35:37 PM

Leadsom at Environment - an anti-scientific born again Christian leading one of the most scientifically influenced ministries. 

Huh. Didn't know they still made Britons like that.
Yeah apparently some of the religious fringe didn't make it to the colonies before 1776.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 14, 2016, 07:10:12 PMMy theory is it's the tutorial system that produces the hallmark of the Oxbridge graduate, which is the ability to speak eloquently and at great length about a subject one knows absolutely nothing about.

Hey, that's the basis of the Italian university system as well. :P

dps

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 14, 2016, 11:25:13 PM
I wasn't aware Charleston WV was still a going concern. I had a relative who was from there (now deceased) so have been in that town a few times. I thought when all the chem plants closed that town died, there has to be better job markets in any nearby city like Louisville/Columbus/Pittsburgh.

Well, AFAIK, all the chemical plants haven't closed down (at least, they were still going in 2008, when we moved to NC), plus it's the state capital, so there are a lot of government jobs.

Sheilbh

In fairness, at least in the humanities, tutorials are the norm in most English universities I think. Maybe slightly more people though.

It's really frustrating to now see the 27 talking about precisely the kind of reforms that would quite possibly have kept us in, in response to Brexit. A lot of the stuff I'm seeing floated now would have been seen as a fairly decent rather than a pisspoor renegotiation by Cameron :bleeding:

Edit: Meanwhile the Labour leadership will mainly be decided by London-dwelling upper middle class graduates:
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/07/middle-class-university-graduates-will-decide-future-labour-party

As goes Ottolenghi's, so goes the country.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 15, 2016, 05:24:27 AM
It's really frustrating to now see the 27 talking about precisely the kind of reforms that would quite possibly have kept us in, in response to Brexit. A lot of the stuff I'm seeing floated now would have been seen as a fairly decent rather than a pisspoor renegotiation by Cameron :bleeding:
As the second biggest country and if you had had a slightly more positive general attitude towards the whole thing, you could perhaps have pushed in that direction. But you prefer to be Little Englanders.  :bowler:

celedhring

What kind of reforms are being talked about?

Zanza

Quote from: celedhring on July 15, 2016, 06:33:27 AM
Fourth Reich  :P

garbon

QuoteLeadsom says it's 'not sensible' to allow male nanny to look after children

Andrea Leadsom, Theresa May's new environment secretary who pulled out of the race for the leadership after being plunged into controversy over comments on motherhood made in an interview with the Times (£), appears to have slipped up again.

In further comments released from the same interview, Leadsom said it was not "sensible" to appoint a man to look after young children because of the danger that they could be a paedophile.

"As an employer we're not — let's face it — most of us don't employ men as nannies, most of us don't. Now you can call that sexist, I call that cautious and very sensible when you look at the stats. Your odds are stacked against you if you employ a man. We know paedophiles are attracted to working with children. I'm sorry but they're the facts," she said.

The comments are likely to anger the 5% of nannies who are male. A survey by the pre-school learning alliance has shown that the vast majority of parents are happy for men to work with children aged 3 to 5 at nurseries, with 89% happy for younger children.

The government has been trying to boost the number of men in childcare saying the "gender imbalance" should be addressed.

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Archy on July 15, 2016, 12:31:29 AM
Yeah apparently some of the religious fringe didn't make it to the colonies before 1776.

Oh no they had shitloads of fundy Christians running their country well into the 20th century. I was just surprised to see them still at it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Siege

That Theresa May is a commie and anti British.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2016, 07:15:02 AM
Oh no they had shitloads of fundy Christians running their country well into the 20th century. I was just surprised to see them still at it.

They did?  News to me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on July 15, 2016, 07:59:19 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2016, 07:15:02 AM

They did?  News to me.

I started typing out a few examples but then realized...no...no this is a trap.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on July 15, 2016, 06:42:11 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 15, 2016, 06:33:27 AM
Fourth Reich  :P

:D
Thanks Brits for leaving us with an even more dominant Germany  <_<