Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

alfred russel

Within 7 weeks Truss managed to kill the pound, the british economy, the conservative party and the queen.

Respect.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Re. a party in desperate need of some time in opposition :lol:
QuoteBen Kentish
@BenKentish
One minister, asked who they want to take over as leader, says: "I don't give a f*ck anymore. I'm going to find a bar." But then describes backers of Rishi Sunak as "nasty, evil bullies"...

Another senior Tory says they'll "burn the building down" if Boris Johnson returns...

Separately amazing stat:
QuoteMorgan Jeffery
@morganjeffery
Liz Truss is the only PM to not have an episode of #DoctorWho air during their premiership since the show began in 1963.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 20, 2022, 12:54:42 PMSeparately amazing stat:
QuoteMorgan Jeffery
@morganjeffery
Liz Truss is the only PM to not have an episode of #DoctorWho air during their premiership since the show began in 1963.

I had to check that, because I knew that Doctor Who was off-air during the 1990s. But yeah, a failed pilot was aired in 1996 to cover the John Major premiership :lol:

Josquius

I laughed but I think it may not be true at the end of her time. There's a Dr who ep on this weekend and she is remaining until next week right?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on October 20, 2022, 01:04:18 PMI laughed but I think it may not be true at the end of her time. There's a Dr who ep on this weekend and she is remaining until next week right?
Ruled out on a technicality :(

The Beeb should push it back a week.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 20, 2022, 01:07:59 PM
Quote from: Josquius on October 20, 2022, 01:04:18 PMI laughed but I think it may not be true at the end of her time. There's a Dr who ep on this weekend and she is remaining until next week right?
Ruled out on a technicality :(

The Beeb should push it back a week.

Maybe that's why she hung on as long as she has?
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 20, 2022, 11:52:06 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2022, 11:48:28 AMI presume this is David Lloyd George holding on to power by utilizing conservative support? Or is it Asquith refusing to leave the stage and then deciding to put Labour in power? Tell me more!
:o Leave Asquith alone!

I'm amazed you like Asquith. Dreadful PM

HVC

I think he just like the name. It is glorious.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

This was pretty good: https://twitter.com/i/status/1581268144244813825 (video)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on October 20, 2022, 06:00:10 PMThis was pretty good: https://twitter.com/i/status/1581268144244813825 (video)

That was pretty good; well not bad; it was ok; kind of bad; who are we kidding, it was terrible.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Lol I'll give it to the Brit's, they know how to kick someone when they're down :lol:

Imagine living in the Edwardian age, leaders of the world, respected, admired and feared. Now your great grand kids are the laughing stock of the western world. Mighty big tumble.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Are they really the laughing stock of the western world? They have a lot of competition these days.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on October 20, 2022, 06:32:22 PMImagine living in the Edwardian age, leaders of the world, respected, admired and feared. Now your great grand kids are the laughing stock of the western world. Mighty big tumble.
:lol:

Although I always wonder how similar it was. There were political disasters and failed leaders in the Edwardian age, say - it's just we don't know the jokes they were making about it in the music hall or pubs. Our understanding of that period is through elites (and I think "Britishness" - reserve, politeness, seriousness, stability - was broadly an elite construction in the 19th century rather than a real thing). They all took it terribly seriously, but did the East End?

I mean I wonder how much the majority of the country really cared about that tumble at all. Did it really matter to them if you weren't in the elite, caught by that line in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy  "Poor loves. Trained to Empire, trained to rule the waves."

Also I think we should be the laughing stock because Liz Truss was PM, not because she was removed - that bit is healthy.
Let's bomb Russia!