Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on September 21, 2018, 11:02:37 AM
Something I don't understand.  There are people who want a "Hard Brexit"  Why?  Wouldn't that cause a recession?

I think that they think it's like pulling off a bandage - it'll hust, but only briefly and better thus to just get it over with.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 21, 2018, 11:26:05 AM
Something I don't understand.  There are people who want a "Hard Brexit"  Why?  Wouldn't that cause a recession?

I think that they think it's like pulling off a bandage - it'll hust, but only briefly and better thus to just get it over with.

Yeah they think that will be the end. But it would only be the beginning.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Further negotiation seems to be a waste of time.

So long and thanks for all the fish!

Josquius

They're disaster capitalists.
They want the collapse of the state so they can rebuild it on neo liberal lines.
One of the main leaders of the hard brexit faction is Jacob Rees Mogg, the son of (and unlike the Milibands he says his father was a great influence) the author of this lovely book:
https://www.amazon.com/Sovereign-Individual-Mastering-Transition-Information/dp/0684832720

QuoteTwo renowned investment advisors and authors of the bestseller The Great Reckoning bring to light both currents of disaster and the potential for prosperity and renewal in the face of radical changes in human history as we move into the next century. The Sovereign Individual details strategies necessary for adapting financially to the next phase of Western civilization.
Few observers of the late twentieth century have their fingers so presciently on the pulse of the global political and economic realignment ushering in the new millennium as do James Dale Davidson and Lord William Rees-Mogg. Their bold prediction of disaster on Wall Street in Blood in the Streets was borne out by Black Tuesday. In their ensuing bestsellar, The Great Reckoning, published just weeks before the coup attempt against Gorbachev, they analyzed the pending collapse of the Soviet Union and foretold the civil war in Yugoslavia and other events that have proved to be among the most searing developments of the past few years.
In The Sovereign Individual, Davidson and Rees-Mogg explore the greatest economic and political transition in centuries -- the shift from an industrial to an information-based society. This transition, which they have termed "the fourth stage of human society," will liberate individuals as never before, irrevocably altering the power of government. This outstanding book will replace false hopes and fictions with new understanding and clarified values.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Neo-Liberal? What could be more of a liberal project than the EU itself?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on September 21, 2018, 12:06:32 PM
Neo-Liberal? What could be more of a liberal project than the EU itself?
The Thatcherite wing of the Tories.
The very foundation of the modern brexit movement is the EU's '88 flip into getting involved in workers rights.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Almost Trumpian diplomacy.

Richard Hakluyt

Valmy

We need to stop putting people named Donald into positions of authority.

Admiral Yi

Why is she all freaked out about some pastries?

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 22, 2018, 02:48:56 AM
Why is she all freaked out about some pastries?

Apparently some Euro joke about cherry picking.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I like how they clarify that this is not a real photo but a mock up. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

The only theory I've heard on this recent bit with May was she was hoping the EU leaders would be less critical of her plan until she had survived next weekend's Conservative party conference, rather then be dealt a blow immediately preceding it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on September 22, 2018, 03:13:50 AM
Apparently some Euro joke about cherry picking.

Yeah dude, I get the play on words.  But why was she in reality freaked out by a tray of pastries?