Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Ed Anger

I just read on the BBC that the dude wanting to lead labour wants to negotiate with Islamic State.

What a putz.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 17, 2016, 10:51:06 AM
I just read on the BBC that the dude wanting to lead labour wants to negotiate with Islamic State.

Well they hate Jews right? Common ground is important in any negotiation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 11, 2016, 12:12:44 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 11, 2016, 11:02:55 AM
Is that what you learned in Econ 101?  That more supply can increase demand?  Get a refund.

No - that's my point - not all markets follow Econ 101 principles because the underlying axioms don't apply to all markets.
Housing in central global cities like London, NY, HK are extreme examples of positional goods - so the more certain kinds of affluent people live there the greater the demand among such people to live there.  Not to mention the foreign absentee buyers who come in not to consume housing services but simply to hold as a safe store of value.  Supply in that scenario can create demand.

That's not to say highly restrictive zoning is a good idea in such markets - very likely it is not.  Only that encouraging building of more luxury units isn't necessarily a solution either.

Serendipitously, economist Nick Rowe recently has a blog post making this point a little more formally:

http://worthwhile.typepad.com/worthwhile_canadian_initi/2016/08/do-local-housing-demand-curves-slope-up.html

That doesn't make it true, but hopefully shows I'm not completely pulling this out from my ass.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tyr on August 17, 2016, 01:22:47 PM
Quote from: Tamas on August 17, 2016, 07:39:58 AM
http://www.politico.eu/article/is-nigel-farage-applying-for-german-citizenship-brexit-consequences-ukip-europe/
Apparently not there for citizenship.
But would be typical if so.

But if Farage is German then that makes Brexit an evil Teutonic plot. Getting rid of the plucky islanders to ensure German dominance of the Continent  :o

Martinus

What a putz.

If tories weren't so pathetically split on Brexit, the labour turning itself even more unelectable would be a good thing. Still, a really shameful piece of shit that. It's not Corbyn but some runner up, right?

garbon

What a putz.

Very dumb. Of course earlier this year Corbyn said UK shouldn't talk directly to Isis but should try to develop back channels...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

QuoteResponding to the comments, Johnny Mercer, a Tory  member of the Defence select committee, said: "Owen Smith's suggestion that we should get Isil 'round the table' demonstrates his unfitness for leadership.

"Everyone knows negotiation is far more desirable than violence in any conflict, but to suggest it in this case, is to entirely misunderstand and fail to grasp the challenge posed by Daesh.

"His desperate attempts to out-Corbyn Jeremy Corbyn have led him to the view that barbaric murderers who behead journalists and lynch homosexuals are now the sort of people that we should negotiate with.

"It shows that whoever wins this increasingly bizarre leadership election, I'm afraid Labour just cannot be trusted with keeping us safe."

Yup, pretty much. It's a sad state of affairs for Britain when labour is more despicable than tories.

Josquius

I dunno. It seems sensible to me. Offer to negotiate with daesh... of course they won't accept. Everybody knows they're not interested in that.
But by being willing to talk and not just bomb you gain points for the evil imperialist west and daesh loses a few
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on August 18, 2016, 02:08:23 AM
I dunno. It seems sensible to me. Offer to negotiate with daesh... of course they won't accept. Everybody knows they're not interested in that.
But by being willing to talk and not just bomb you gain points for the evil imperialist west and daesh loses a few

Meaning some people in the world who are on the fence between evil imperialist west and ISIS might be pushed to our side by an offer to negotiate, or that the history books might treat them more harshly if they refuse?

What exactly would we talk to them about?  "If you reduce teenage rape by half and homosexual stoning by half we'll give you some food aid?"

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 18, 2016, 02:21:06 AM

What exactly would we talk to them about?  "If you reduce teenage rape by half and homosexual stoning by half we'll give you some food aid?"

To be fair your country has already struck that deal with the Saudis

Richard Hakluyt

A good reason not to talk to them is that they would almost certainly kill the envoy.

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 18, 2016, 02:37:34 AM
A good reason not to talk to them is that they would almost certainly kill the envoy.

We could exchange video messages.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 18, 2016, 02:21:06 AM
Quote from: Tyr on August 18, 2016, 02:08:23 AM

Meaning some people in the world who are on the fence between evil imperialist west and ISIS might be pushed to our side by an offer to negotiate, or that the history books might treat them more harshly if they refuse?

Even disregarding the immense immorality of such negotiations (whether with ISIS, or with Saudis, as Tamas points out), what various leftists ignore is that the West bowing down to Islamist pressure actually fucks up immensely the cause of any actual secularists and moderates in the Islam world. So yeah, to paraphrase Talleyrand, it wouldn't just be a misdeed, it would be a mistake.

Incidentally, is using the word "Daesh" some sort of virtue signaling? It seems to me that people who use that term (especially exclusively, while refusing to ever use "ISIS", "ISIL" or "the Islamic State") are uniformly pieces of shit.

garbon

Maybe Labour needs to lie fallow for a few seasons?