Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2016, 09:52:18 PM
Leave brands I've ever used: 1/10 Is Birds Eye a UK or American brand?

Remain brands I've ever used: 0/10

Leave brands I've ever heard of: 4/10 Only heard of Iceland because of the post about tweets congratulating Iceland for fodbol.

Remain brands I've ever heard of: 8/10.

If you've got it in the US I'd think it was US in origin, probably one of those numerous brands that came over in the 50s/60s that Brits took to heart and think of as their own.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 03, 2016, 06:23:32 PM
Plus given that they support a zero growth economy I'm not convinced they care about workers either.

:blink: But...but how do they think new green technologies can be adopted without any expansion of the economy? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gups

Quote from: mongers on August 04, 2016, 07:21:07 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 03, 2016, 09:52:18 PM
Leave brands I've ever used: 1/10 Is Birds Eye a UK or American brand?

Remain brands I've ever used: 0/10

Leave brands I've ever heard of: 4/10 Only heard of Iceland because of the post about tweets congratulating Iceland for fodbol.

Remain brands I've ever heard of: 8/10.

If you've got it in the US I'd think it was US in origin, probably one of those numerous brands that came over in the 50s/60s that Brits took to heart and think of as their own.

It's originally American. The brand now has different owners in different countries (it's called Iglo in Europe)

Tamas

While we discuss brown sauce, bank of England cuts interest rate and announces more money printing, citing the expected loss of 250 000 jobs from the British economy.

I would like to once again congratulate the brave people for whom all this was not too high price to get the navy blue passport back!

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on August 04, 2016, 08:10:15 AM
While we discuss brown sauce, bank of England cuts interest rate and announces more money printing, citing the expected loss of 250 000 jobs from the British economy.

I would like to once again congratulate the brave people for whom all this was not too high price to get the navy blue passport back!

Well somebody had to be the first to reject decades of western thinking and embrace ancient discredited ideas. I just hope we are not the second.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on August 04, 2016, 08:11:58 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 04, 2016, 08:10:15 AM

Well somebody had to be the first to reject decades of western thinking and embrace ancient discredited ideas. I just hope we are not the second.

Brexit the starter, Trump the main course?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

Brexit is just the first in what will become a very long list unless some mechanism to increase the poorer half's share of the wealth is applied in the West.

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 04, 2016, 08:36:27 AM
Brexit is just the first in what will become a very long list unless some mechanism to increase the poorer half's share of the wealth is applied in the West.

It is tricky because it cannot work to simply give everybody money. People want respectable work and the social prestige that comes with it. But things like Brexit are not going to make it better, only worse.

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, it is a conundrum. I can identify the problem, but can't think what a workable solution might be  :hmm:

Gups

Germany has dealt with it pretty well by identifying areas at threat from globalisation and spending money on training. At least that's what I read in an Economist (I think) article recently.

Valmy

Quote from: Gups on August 04, 2016, 08:48:29 AM
Germany has dealt with it pretty well by identifying areas at threat from globalisation and spending money on training. At least that's what I read in an Economist (I think) article recently.

Have they? Their establishment parties have taken a beating and the alt-right is rising over there as well. Maybe they are doing the least badly.

Well I mean all the Western countries are doing very well, but in this particularly troublesome area.

One thing I have been thinking is all this does show the political and social wisdom of the long hated farm subsidies.

Gups

Quote from: Valmy on August 04, 2016, 08:53:44 AM

Have they? Their establishment parties have taken a beating and the alt-right is rising over there as well. Maybe they are doing the least badly.

Well I mean all the Western countries are doing very well, but in this particularly troublesome area.

One thing I have been thinking is all this does show the political and social wisdom of the long hated farm subsidies.

As I understand it the AfD (which is way less well supported than similar parties in France and the UK) have got their support from people objecting to asylum seekers, not from the anti-globalisation forces.

Valmy

Quote from: Gups on August 04, 2016, 09:51:47 AM
As I understand it the AfD (which is way less well supported than similar parties in France and the UK) have got their support from people objecting to asylum seekers, not from the anti-globalisation forces.

True but they are new on the support level thing but they are new. We will see how things go. Besides last I checked the Left party is also reactionary against globalization.

Zanza

Quote from: Gups on August 04, 2016, 07:40:26 AM
It's originally American. The brand now has different owners in different countries (it's called Iglo in Europe)
Iglo is big in German supermarket frozen food areas.

Zanza

We have our fair share of globalization losers and opponents. The opponents don't just exist in the AfD and Left Party, but at the grassroots level of the other parties as well. It's not yet as openly visible as in other countries, but that's just because Germany is structurally a very conservative country and social trends like that happen ten years later in Germany than in other Western countries.