Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Gups

You just can't admit that you don't know something, can you?

Razgovory

Why haven't you guys simply thrown George Galloway into the sea?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on February 29, 2024, 05:07:09 PMYou just can't admit that you don't know something, can you?
Of course I can? I do this all the time.
Ironically I don't know what you are referring to here.
██████
██████
██████

PJL

George Galloway is basically our Donald Trump at this point - I can't tell the difference between the two.

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AMProbably be less fires if you made it easier to tear down a literally crooked building :D

:D

Sheilbh

Rochdale council have put on a hot pie buffet for the people at the count :o :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: PJL on February 29, 2024, 05:32:41 PMGeorge Galloway is basically our Donald Trump at this point - I can't tell the difference between the two.

He is sort of a mirror universe version.
Right vs left wing populism.
Tacky new money styling vs bougey no money chic.
Randomly wanting to be president on a whim vs long career in politics.
Shits on Muslims to score cheap points vs really tries to appeal to Muslims for cheap points.

I do think my money is on Galloway. As said the whole "what does it matter, might as well have him shout about Palestine for a few months " argument seems one that will appeal to many. Especially in light of labours mess locally.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on February 29, 2024, 05:31:04 PM
Quote from: Gups on February 29, 2024, 05:07:09 PMYou just can't admit that you don't know something, can you?

That decisions to take actions against breaches of planning law are taken and funded by local authorities and not by central Government.

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on March 01, 2024, 02:53:33 AM

That decisions to take actions against breaches of planning law are taken and funded by local authorities and not by central Government.

I see.
So what has happened here is that you vehemently disagree with the use of the word 'government' for actions at any level of government other than central government, but rather than make that clear you decided it would be more fun to pretend I believe the that the house of commons spends all their time discussing the likes of whether some guy in Kendal is allowed to build a granny flat or not.
That would explain a lot actually if it were true... but no. That's insane.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

So Galloway won with about 40% - more than the Tories, Lib Dem's and (not) Labour combined. Second was a local businessman running as an independent.

Reform had another actual electoral performance that was far worse than their polling (not sure if they kept their deposit).
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

In actual news. Galloway wins. By quite some way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68443430

Not really noted elsewhere but I find it really curious its with the workers party rather than just as an independent. Funny to see them in parliament, even if under very special circumstances.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

They're his party, he created them a few years ago.

And I think that's Galloway's style (he's on the hard left after all so you need a party organisation even if it is just you :lol:) - now joined by the particularly loathsome Chris Williamson as Deputy Leader.

But he created Respect before that when he was kicked out of Labour.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I see. Must have them mixed up with one of the myriad similar named groups.

I am quite surprised at the extent of the Labour drop. Would have thought there'd be more people than that not really paying attention- though I guess with a byelection those people wouldn't be voting.
The size of the Tory drop is heartening.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on March 01, 2024, 03:50:46 AM
Quote from: Gups on March 01, 2024, 02:53:33 AM

I see.
So what has happened here is that you vehemently disagree with the use of the word 'government' for actions at any level of government other than central government, but rather than make that clear you decided it would be more fun to pretend I believe the that the house of commons spends all their time discussing the likes of whether some guy in Kendal is allowed to build a granny flat or not.
That would explain a lot actually if it were true... but no. That's insane.

What level of government were you referring to in this quote?

Quote from: Josquius on February 29, 2024, 07:24:45 AMYeah, I've heard of this London one before. It was good, but...London. The government cares about London and things actually work the way they're meant to there.

It sounded like you were saying the central government cares about London vs say the rest of the country.  Otherwise it seems weird if you were saying the local government in London cares more about its constituents than local government in other parts of the country care about their own constituents.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.