News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 17, 2024, 10:12:58 AMMore like it's taken you 50 years to understand that Quebec is not the only province that has difficulty dealing with Ottawa.
Every time we tried to change the Constitution, the provinces backed off and sided with the Federal government.  I figured they were pretty happy with their relations the way they were. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

I am not sure why you would think that.  Both the Meech Lake Accord and the Charlottetown accord were supported by all the Provinces.  You can look at the troubled history of why neither was ratified. But it had nothing to do with the provinces "siding with the Federal government".  It was after all the Federal government who had proposed and pushed for the passing of both Accords.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 17, 2024, 01:28:50 PMI am not sure why you would think that.  Both the Meech Lake Accord and the Charlottetown accord were supported by all the Provinces.  You can look at the troubled history of why neither was ratified. But it had nothing to do with the provinces "siding with the Federal government".  It was after all the Federal government who had proposed and pushed for the passing of both Accords.

In 1982, all the Provinces sided with the Federal government against Quebec.

Between 1987 and 1990, 3 provinces turned their back on the signed agreement and the others didn't even try to salvage it.  Only the Quebec Premier and the Canadian Prime Minister made efforts to have the accord ratified.

Charlottetown was Mulroney trying to salvage Meech by locking Quebec inside the Constitution with a bad deal.

Every time Quebec has pushed for Constitutional changes, the answer has been "No, Quebec is a spoiled child already".

Now the provinces realize the Federal government is weakened and they could get more, so they are challenging it.  NF, Ontario, BC, Alberta, among others.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Is that how they teach it in Quebec or your personal perspective?

crazy canuck

Four sources have told the Globe that Trudeau has met with Carney to ask him to run in either a by-election or in the general election.

Carney is reported to be "non-committal".

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 17, 2024, 08:35:18 PMIs that how they teach it in Quebec or your personal perspective?
A mix of both.

Grey Fox

I've talked about it in this thread. Meech and Charlottetown are either a great treason or a great betrayal in the collective Quebec zeitgeist. It is the grand showing of RoC Canadians being no better than their English forbearer in their rejection of Francophone Canada.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

GF used the word zeitgeist. I'm so proud of the way we've brought him up
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

There's an editorial cartoon in the Star. Freeland saying that Trudeau has great confidence in her while behind her Justin grabs onto the legs of a fleeing Carney

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorial-cartoons/theo-moudakis-confidence-in-chrystia-freeland/article_273af00c-4539-11ef-8c2f-fbb0a3e73c1a.html
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Big decision from the Supreme Court of Canada.  It affirmed the decisions from the lower courts that the provincial and federal government governments had breached treaty rights of an indigenous nation north of Lake superior for 150 years By refusing to increase the annuity which was required to be paid under the treaty.

The treaty required the government to increase the annuity to each individual member of the indigenous nation, if revenues from the land justified such an increase.  The area turned out to be mineral rich, and the government, along with private corporations, made a lot of money.  The Annuity was never increased.

The first nation values its claim at about 126 billion. The court has sent the government back to exercise its own judgement as to what is owed and to pay it.  The Decision of the government will be subject to judicial review.

And here's the kicker, the government has a deadline of six months to do this.

If people thought we had a bad deficit problem  before this decision, just think about this case being multiplied many times across the country.  While it is true that this treaty has rather unique language with an escalating clause, there are a lot of other rather unique treaties And claims being made across the country.

viper37

As the lake touches 2 provinces, which one is at fault here, Ontario?

So both Ontario and Ottawa are liable for the 126 billion$? Assuming it is the fair value, obviously. But for the sake of discussion, let's assume it is.

What