News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hungarian Politics

Started by Tamas, March 09, 2011, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Finally the true fans of van gogh are free to come out and be themselves
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on July 24, 2024, 03:52:49 AMIt's time for the annual Hungarian conservative far-right mass gathering in Transylvania, where traditionally Orban does a speech with something outrageous enough to dominate public discourse for the rest of the year so he can go back to stealing.

Couple of other speakers from this year's event (the second one is actually a Brit):

Groupies.  :lol:

Tamas

With absolutely no announcement (some journos spotted it among the public finances data published) the government took a 1 billion euros loan from China back in April, for an undisclosed purpose and on undisclosed terms.

This, for me, is one more proof that Orban is running a very classic feudalistic regime, where he is a king maintains loyalty and thus control by a steady stream of perks and gifts for which he needs money. To make things worse the regime and apparatus he has built he built it to the scale of the unprecedently massive incoming EU grants over the past 14 years. Both his vassals and because of that the country as a whole need these recurring injections for the house of cards not to collapse.

Instead of reform he will just turn toward China and Russia to keep going.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on July 25, 2024, 03:05:48 AMThis, for me, is one more proof that Orban is running a very classic feudalistic regime, where he is a king maintains loyalty and thus control by a steady stream of perks and gifts for which he needs money. To make things worse the regime and apparatus he has built he built it to the scale of the unprecedently massive incoming EU grants over the past 14 years. Both his vassals and because of that the country as a whole need these recurring injections for the house of cards not to collapse.

That is basically how the Communist regime ran in Hungary right? It needed constant perks and cash to bribe the leaders, though there was also a big stick waiting as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on July 25, 2024, 09:39:15 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 25, 2024, 03:05:48 AMThis, for me, is one more proof that Orban is running a very classic feudalistic regime, where he is a king maintains loyalty and thus control by a steady stream of perks and gifts for which he needs money. To make things worse the regime and apparatus he has built he built it to the scale of the unprecedently massive incoming EU grants over the past 14 years. Both his vassals and because of that the country as a whole need these recurring injections for the house of cards not to collapse.

That is basically how the Communist regime ran in Hungary right? It needed constant perks and cash to bribe the leaders, though there was also a big stick waiting as well.

Yes although it was more about bribing the populace, giving them relative security and welfare (probably not looking from Western Europe, but defo looking from most of the rest of the Warsaw Pact).

Tamas

In the meantime I wish Orban's "traditional values" fans abroad would be aware that Hungary is nearing a demographic catastrophe, there has never been so few births since statistics started. In just the last 6 months, 25 000 more people died than were born.

Meanwhile there has been serious talk about using soldiers to fill up the emptying ranks of school teachers and lately even hospital employees.

Orban's whole reign is an abject failure, hidden only by the vast amounts of foreign money pouring in, plus overwhelming propaganda. Actually Valmy's comparison to Kadar-era communist Hungary is very apt.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on July 25, 2024, 09:42:14 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 25, 2024, 09:39:15 AM

Yes although it was more about bribing the populace, giving them relative security and welfare (probably not looking from Western Europe, but defo looking from most of the rest of the Warsaw Pact).

Where did Hungary rank on this?
As I understand it the top 3 were East Germany, Czechoslovakia, and Yugoslavia (maybe in reverse order there?). Then Hungary?
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Yugoslavia was non-aligned so best of both worlds, in a way.
East Germany was way too repressive to be among the best. Czechoslovakia's short experience with reforms ended in 1968.
Hungary, all other things being equal, was the happiest barrack in the communist block. Not in 1956, of course.

Tamas

Yeah comparing to yugoslavia isn't fair they had access to western goods. You could *gasp* buy coca cola there as I remember.

Sheilbh

Something for this thread or EU thread. But read a bit in Forbes on national security concerns in the rest of the Schengen area after Hungary's extending guest worker "national cards" to Russians and Belarussians from July.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Build a wall!

Didn't hungary also block (or threaten to block) EU reimbursements to countries aiding  Ukraine unless the EU strong arms Ukraine into letting oil through again?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 26, 2024, 12:57:37 PMSomething for this thread or EU thread. But read a bit in Forbes on national security concerns in the rest of the Schengen area after Hungary's extending guest worker "national cards" to Russians and Belarussians from July.

Yeah that's potentially huge.

Sheilbh

Yeah. I sort of think we should be trying to encourage a brain drain from Russia. But a guest worker route into Schengen feels far more like it's be helpful for intelligence operatives.
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 26, 2024, 07:24:50 PMYeah. I sort of think we should be trying to encourage a brain drain from Russia. But a guest worker route into Schengen feels far more like it's be helpful for intelligence operatives.

Related, in the papers yesterday: Belgium is building windflower at sea. Strategic and critical infrastructure... and the companies doing so are employing Russians. Our internal security has said that this is not that smart an idea...