Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

alfred russel

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 28, 2016, 04:48:35 PM
Merkel is right on Cameron--he gambled with his country's future for partisan political purposes, he really is a disgrace and will be ranked in the pantheon of worst PMs for sure.

There is no salvaging his legacy. Even in the case that leaving the EU comes to be regarded as a great decision for the UK, he lobbied against it.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 28, 2016, 04:48:35 PM
Merkel is right on Cameron--he gambled with his country's future for partisan political purposes, he really is a disgrace and will be ranked in the pantheon of worst PMs for sure.

Few here doubt that.

Though it's been put into perspective because the next lot of candidates for both parties look similarly flawed.

And I wouldn't put it post one of the winning party leaders to really pull out a rabbit, say accidentally launching Trident missiles.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Quote from: Agelastus on June 28, 2016, 04:50:10 PM
On the subject of fishing, I fail to see why this little farrago would still stand should we leave - unless we use continued access as a bargaining chip given the state of our fishing industry after 40 years in the EU -

The first rules were created in 1970. The original six Common Market members realized that four countries applying to join the Common Market at that time (Britain, Ireland, Denmark and Norway) would control the richest fishing grounds in the world. The original six therefore drew up Council Regulation 2141/70 giving all Members equal access to all fishing waters, even though the Treaty of Rome gave no authority to do this. This was adopted on the morning of 30 June 1970, a few hours before the applications to join were officially received. This ensured that the regulations became part of the acquis communautaire before the new members joined, obliging them to accept the regulation. At first the UK refused to accept the rules but by the end of 1971 the UK gave way and signed the Accession Treaty on 22 January 1972, thereby handing over an estimated four fifths of all the fish off Western Europe.

A quick look at the map of our EEA should demonstrate that our Fishing Industry should have some room to recover upon leaving the EU, even if it won't be immediate.

Unless I'm missing something, of course. :hmm:
Fish. We're missing fish.
Its harsh, but strict quotas are entirely the right thing to do with fishing these days. The seas need to recover, they're not in a good way.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Agelastus on June 28, 2016, 04:50:10 PM
Unless I'm missing something, of course. :hmm:

While I don't know, I suspect that there might be an issue if you don't have reasonable agreements with your maritime neighbours when it comes to managing fishing stocks. It's not like the fish respect the various national EEZ.

You may be able to negotiate something on fisheries, of course, but it'll be part of the fisheries situation. If you're going to unilaterally manage the fishing differently (say by excluding foreign fleets from fishing in UK waters completely), the EU may simply increase the quota in neighbouring waters to compensate.

Generally, when there's a lack of co-operation on fisheries in adjoining EEZ within the same body of water, the fish stocks tend to deteriorate as there's a race to exploit the commons to your own benefit before they run out. To do otherwise requires exclusive control or co-operation.

So I think the question really becomes how much the fish in the UK EEZ are purely local rather than migratory.

Sheilbh

Corbyn, his position unassailable, is reportedly about to propose that the Labour Party readmits George Galloway :blink: :bleeding: :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

Hamilcar

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 28, 2016, 05:10:37 PM
Corbyn, his position unassailable, is reportedly about to propose that the Labour Party readmits George Galloway :blink: :bleeding: :weep:

Is he just trolling the party now?

Jacob

Link?

Sheilbh

I mean you do have to admire his indefatigability.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2016, 05:16:38 PM

Link?
George Eaton, the excellent New Statesman political correspondent on Twitter.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

I googled "Corbyn readmit Galloway" and it seems it's been topical something like every two months since Corbyn took over... so I think we need something a little more substantial than a rumour at this point as it seems to be a favoured "look at how Corbyn is a git" thing to circulate.

Sheilbh

I don't think there's any doubt he wants to but he's always pulled back because he knows it would provoke fury. He might do it again, or he might reason - how can it get any worse.

But Labour's Head of Media has said 'it's not being discussed with the Labour Party'. We'll see if it turns up on a future NEC agenda.

By the by a friend's local CLP passed a no confidence motion in Corbyn tonight. Fractious debate apparently.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

11 is not good enough for this dude.

Monoriu

I guess it is good news if he makes Labour unelectable :P

OttoVonBismarck

If they would really subject Corbyn to the 20% MP support to stand, then just calling a new election likely deposes him if the same number of MPs who voted no confidence would refuse to endorse him for election. He only got 40 MPs to vote against no confidence which is only 17.4% of Labour MPs--it looks like some must not have voted though, since 172 voted against him and 40 for, and it appears there are 229 Labour MPs total.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Monoriu on June 28, 2016, 05:36:20 PM
I guess it is good news if he makes Labour unelectable :P

I would definitely be a Conservative party member if I lived there but I liked Labour for a time, largely because under Blair they recognized the UK's primary role in the world is being America's majordomo and chief advocate in European bodies.