Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Richard Hakluyt

Unless something changes I shall be voting lib-dem. I can't abide Corbyn's lack of interest in the anti-semitism within the Labour party and the tories are just some evil English nationalist party nowadays.

The lib-dem candidate for Preston looks about 12 years old  :hmm:

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 15, 2019, 03:00:44 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 15, 2019, 02:47:56 PM
Why is that a pukey choice?  Seems like a no brainer to me.
I can't stand the Lib Dems :(

Especially since the coalition as I think they bear a large part of the blame for why we are where we are. But they have a better chance of doing well and a better candidate than the Greens and are less likely to support Corbyn in government.

Well now that is just not fair. The Tories had been out of power so long by that point, how were they to know?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Yeah. Our Lib Dem candidate is from the area originally. But younger than me (:o :weep: :bleeding:) and a councillor in a more Lib Dem friendly area of North London. I've no doubt she'll find a friendlier constituency next time round.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I really don't get the anti semitism fuss. It is massively blown out of proportion. The issue is that this even is an issue in labour. Compared to the Tories or farage for whom xenophobia is a core policy.... No contest.

Ideal world I would like to vote Green. But rationally either of the seats I could vote in are traditional safe labour seats of the type the right are targeting. So unlike in the euro election I will vote labour. Since the euro election they have started being sensible on Brexit too, which is nice.

In other news.

https://inews.co.uk/news/general-election-2019-conservatives-boris-johnson-pledge-railway-cuts-1019817

Johnson announces a 500 million "beeching reversal fund". On the surface this sounds great. I love trains. However.... I can't help but notice the towns mentioned there.... They're on the Blyth and Tyne line. An issue I've been following for a while. The project to reopen that line is already underway.... :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

What is the end game for Prince Andrew?

I looked up age of consent in the UK and it's 16; accuser says she was 17 at the time.

I guess you can't resign your royalnesss, so name is mud, bunkers down in a mansion until he dies?

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 17, 2019, 09:29:17 PM

I looked up age of consent in the UK and it's 16; accuser says she was 17 at the time.

I guess you can't resign your royalnesss, so name is mud, bunkers down in a mansion until he dies?
Why would Brexit change his end game?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

You make zombie Edward VIII sad.  :(

Sheilbh

No idea. Probably never go back to America.

He's now also in a race row and I think the PR move may have backfired as there's about 20 pages of the Daily Mail's main site.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

In some personal Brexit news - I am now a registered Irish citizen :w00t:

Finally have an excuse for my inveterate republicanism.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 18, 2019, 03:42:10 PM
In some personal Brexit news - I am now a registered Irish citizen :w00t:

Finally have an excuse for my inveterate republicanism.

Ah! How long did that take you?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Took them about 9 months to process the forms. I think they're a little overwhelmed at the minute :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Also comparison with 2017, the Tories doing very well (last time, this stage of the campaign was when they peaked). Brexit party down to where UKIP is - wonder if the Lib Dems will follow:

It is extraordinary. The two main parties have never had less popular leaders, so the more one climbs the more the other is able to squeeze votes. They're like two bloated corpses rising together :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

We've this kind of phenomenon in Spain (we call it "useful vote"), people voting parties they don't really like because they are the only ones that can beat the parties they hate. FPTP seems to make it more extreme.

PJL

Quote from: celedhring on November 18, 2019, 04:09:39 PM
We've this kind of phenomenon in Spain (we call it "useful vote"), people voting parties they don't really like because they are the only ones that can beat the others they hate even more. FPTP seems to make it more extreme.

It's called tactical voting here and was used effectively against the Conservatives between 1997 & 2005.

Valmy

Well this is going very poorly.

But then I am sort of used to things going against what I would like.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."