Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Richard Hakluyt

A bit of light relief, re a Brexit party parliamentary candidate :

"Last week the party confirmed that Jill Hughes, the candidate for the Batley and Spen constituency in West Yorkshire, was to stand down after claims emerged that she believes she comes from the distant star Sirius and that governments across the world were in cahoots with aliens."

:hmm:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/05/boxing-clever-nigel-farage-takes-aim-at-leave-voters-in-labour-seats

Josquius

I wonder why they kicked her out. Thats not too far off the beliefs of many brexit supporters.

QuoteGerman paper reports that the government is holding back the report on the investigation into Russian influence on the Brexit campaign and the 2017 election?

Yep. Successfully it seems.
This implies the finger is overwhelmingly pointed at them.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

I suspect the Tories think what I think they thought in 2017: their opponents are repellent to a lot of people, so they are the default choice. Remaining an obscure choice thus actually helps them, because the more details the electorate learns about their positions, the more details could prompt them NOT to vote Tory.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Agelastus on November 05, 2019, 06:23:51 PM
While I am aware it is an advert for Boodles jewellers I am surprised that the Telegraph was quite so tone deaf as to allow an advert including the name of a famous gentleman's club to appear on the same front page as the Tory leader's opening broadside of his election campaign. Given Johnson's background, of course.
Also. You're running a campaign as a Tory party that depends on winning Labour leaver voters. And you launch it with an article in the Telegraph(!), with a negative piece attacking Labour(!), in defence of the poor profit makers(!!!). It just doesn't seem very well thought through.

Andrew Neil interview with Nadhim Zahawi a bit of a car-crash too. Pointed out what Stalin did to the Kulaks and the peasants, and said it's absurd. Asked if Corbyn is really going to raise taxes or have the wealthy shot, Zahawi response was "I don't know" :blink:

Plus a cabinet minister has had to resign after it turned out he'd lied about knowing that an aide of his had, in the words of the judge, "sabotaged" a rape trial in which he was a defence witness.

As I say they could turn this round. I'm not sure how much all these early fuck-ups will matter. But none of this indicates a well-run, competent campaign and I wonder how much of it is because the PM and lots of people he's promoted are lazy chancers ("the more one reads about the report").

Meanwhile in Labour, I'm weirdly furious at Tom Watson. He stopped a lot of Labour MPs from leaving the party with Luciana Berger, he put together that social democratic group within the PLP to help defend "mainstream Labour" and now he stepping down as deputy and as an MP. If nothing else it feels pretty seismic, like the moderates have now lost the Labour Party - it's not like the 80s anymore.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2019, 04:09:58 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on November 05, 2019, 06:23:51 PM
While I am aware it is an advert for Boodles jewellers I am surprised that the Telegraph was quite so tone deaf as to allow an advert including the name of a famous gentleman's club to appear on the same front page as the Tory leader's opening broadside of his election campaign. Given Johnson's background, of course.
Also. You're running a campaign as a Tory party that depends on winning Labour leaver voters. And you launch it with an article in the Telegraph(!), with a negative piece attacking Labour(!), in defence of the poor profit makers(!!!). It just doesn't seem very well thought through.

Andrew Neil interview with Nadhim Zahawi a bit of a car-crash too. Pointed out what Stalin did to the Kulaks and the peasants, and said it's absurd. Asked if Corbyn is really going to raise taxes or have the wealthy shot, Zahawi response was "I don't know" :blink:

Plus a cabinet minister has had to resign after it turned out he'd lied about knowing that an aide of his had, in the words of the judge, "sabotaged" a rape trial in which he was a defence witness.

As I say they could turn this round. I'm not sure how much all these early fuck-ups will matter. But none of this indicates a well-run, competent campaign and I wonder how much of it is because the PM and lots of people he's promoted are lazy chancers ("the more one reads about the report").

Meanwhile in Labour, I'm weirdly furious at Tom Watson. He stopped a lot of Labour MPs from leaving the party with Luciana Berger, he put together that social democratic group within the PLP to help defend "mainstream Labour" and now he stepping down as deputy and as an MP. If nothing else it feels pretty seismic, like the moderates have now lost the Labour Party - it's not like the 80s anymore.

Maybe he thinks there's a live to be had outside of politics? :unsure:

Oh and Corbyn's going to lead labour to an historic defeat?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

So, with the new extension UK will remain a member under the new EU Commission, and this means that a British Commissioner must be appointed. Von Der Leyen has requested Johnson to submit candidates, which I guess he's won't be inclined to do.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/06/brexit-has-made-britains-problems-worse-says-juncker

Agelastus

Quote from: celedhring on November 06, 2019, 05:52:23 PM
So, with the new extension UK will remain a member under the new EU Commission, and this means that a British Commissioner must be appointed. Von Der Leyen has requested Johnson to submit candidates, which I guess he's won't be inclined to do.

Even if he does, I thought the jobs had already been re-organised for 27 and not 28 commissioners; will our commissioner just sit around drawing pay for two months doing nothing?

The logical thing to do woukd be just to extend our current commissioner's term by two months or however long is needed. But your article says that the Commission president wants us to nominate a woman. I can see it being quite hard getting a suitable candidate to volunteer for what should be a 2 month job instead of the normal 5 years. :hmm:

Of course, the article also said that the government has said we will "meet our legal obligations" so we will just have to see who Johnson comes up with.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

Apropos of nothing but was I the only person who read the headline:
"John Bercow: Brexit is UK's biggest mistake since second world war"
And thought it made him sound like a Nazi sympathiser? :mellow: :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2019, 06:18:41 PM

:lol:

Took me a second ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

I spent a good five minutes thinking about which British mistake in WWII was worse than Brexit. Tobruk? Dieppe? Pretty much everything involving the BEF?

Or maybe Market-Garden? Since that probably was the last British mistake in WWII, and thus the last one to possibly surpass Brexit?

:P

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on November 06, 2019, 06:44:02 PM

I spent a good five minutes thinking about which British mistake in WWII was worse than Brexit. Tobruk? Dieppe? Pretty much everything involving the BEF?

Or maybe Market-Garden? Since that probably was the last British mistake in WWII, and thus the last one to possibly surpass Brexit?

:P

Singapore.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Considering all the gaffs and blunders the British have made since WWII that is quite statement.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

I suppose he meant that it is an even bigger mistake than Suez?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 07, 2019, 12:57:03 AM
I suppose he meant that it is an even bigger mistake than Suez?

Damn, just had that thought.

Josquius

It's fair to say brexit is a bigger mistake than suez.
Suez sped up the decline but the direction of travel was fairly set.
Brexit takes what was previously a new upwards trajectory and completely flips it.

Yeah, I've seen some comments around this. It's being misreported and might give people that impression. Including many who may not bother to think about it and laugh it off.

Actual quote was:

I don't think it helps the UK. Brexit is the biggest mistake of this country after the war. I respect PM Johnson but Brexit doesn't help us. It's better to be part of the power bloc

██████
██████
██████