Cape Breton island welcomes American refugees

Started by viper37, February 18, 2016, 12:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 18, 2016, 04:18:41 PM
I thought that it required you to have employment lined up and that the employer documented no Canadian suitable for the position could be found?

That's one method, but not the only one. There are a handful of different streams for immigration, but many of them depend on whether your field - a profession or skilled trade - is classified as being in short supply. If it is, you can qualify if you have Canadian work experience already (i.e. you've been in Canada on a work visa), and I believe that's independent of your specific job status (but if you're unemployed for long, you have to leave so it may amount to the same thing). If you're coming as a skilled tradesperson, you need a job offer, but as a professional you need documented work experience and credentials (and sufficient funds). There is also a separate pathway for various caregivers.

Those are just the Federal immigration pools, the Provinces each have their own pool and set of rules - in Ontario, for example, you may be eligible if you're graduating from a Masters or Ph.D program from a public university in that province.

Monoriu

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2016, 04:12:41 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 18, 2016, 03:58:10 PM
Which is odd to me--because even with influxes of Muslims a lot of Europe is going to suffer debilitating demographic collapse. It just seems odd that you'd not be doing anything proactive about that. Canada like the U.S. is in better shape in that regard, but it's just odd that you wouldn't want educated immigrants with job skills AND refugees. The United States accepts both, albeit it's not as liberal on refugees these days (sometimes we have been--we had a very liberal policy to Vietnamese refugees for a couple decades until that program phased out.)

Umm, I don't know about the US, but we have a point-based system that strongly favours immigrants with skills and education (plus who can speak english or french)...

I thought that it required you to have employment lined up and that the employer documented no Canadian suitable for the position could be found?

Obviously my experience is outdated, but I am sure there are tons of ways to get Canadian citizenship.  The biggest category is actually family reunion.  If you know have a relative there, it is a lot easier.  Back then there was an investment category, like if you promise to invest $x million to open a business and employ y number of Canadian workers, you can get citizenship after 4 years.  So I know tons of people opened a Chinese restaurant for that purpose.  They all invariably closed after 4 years.  They lost tons of money but that's ok, because that's actually the price of purchasing citizenship.  I have been told that they no longer allow this but I am not sure.  My family didn't open a restaurant, we didn't know anybody there and none of us had job skills.  I think my father got in simply based on the size of his bank account.  There was a point system, like age, English skills, French skills, etc.  I was a teenager at that time and scored points for my family based on my age alone :yeah:

grumbler

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 18, 2016, 05:28:30 PM
I have heard Costa Rica is a good place live and that the US $ goes a long way there.

It's okay if you don't mind rubbing shoulders with the mobsters on the run.

It used to be more crowded, but then the Nazi war criminals all pretty much died off.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 18, 2016, 01:28:55 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 18, 2016, 01:24:45 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 18, 2016, 01:18:26 PM
Heh I wonder if this thing is actually attracting any legitimate interest from actual Americans.

If I was going to move, it would be to somewhere warmer, but other than that if I thought I could get equivalent employment, I would consider moving to Canada.

Although not really because of Trump, of course.

Vancouver is warmer than New York. Barely.

I assume that is just a troll

crazy canuck

Quote from: Monoriu on February 18, 2016, 08:00:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2016, 04:12:41 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 18, 2016, 03:58:10 PM
Which is odd to me--because even with influxes of Muslims a lot of Europe is going to suffer debilitating demographic collapse. It just seems odd that you'd not be doing anything proactive about that. Canada like the U.S. is in better shape in that regard, but it's just odd that you wouldn't want educated immigrants with job skills AND refugees. The United States accepts both, albeit it's not as liberal on refugees these days (sometimes we have been--we had a very liberal policy to Vietnamese refugees for a couple decades until that program phased out.)

Umm, I don't know about the US, but we have a point-based system that strongly favours immigrants with skills and education (plus who can speak english or french)...

The rules were significantly changed recently

Obviously my experience is outdated, but I am sure there are tons of ways to get Canadian citizenship.  The biggest category is actually family reunion.  If you know have a relative there, it is a lot easier.  Back then there was an investment category, like if you promise to invest $x million to open a business and employ y number of Canadian workers, you can get citizenship after 4 years.  So I know tons of people opened a Chinese restaurant for that purpose.  They all invariably closed after 4 years.  They lost tons of money but that's ok, because that's actually the price of purchasing citizenship.  I have been told that they no longer allow this but I am not sure.  My family didn't open a restaurant, we didn't know anybody there and none of us had job skills.  I think my father got in simply based on the size of his bank account.  There was a point system, like age, English skills, French skills, etc.  I was a teenager at that time and scored points for my family based on my age alone :yeah:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 18, 2016, 10:40:46 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 18, 2016, 01:28:55 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 18, 2016, 01:24:45 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 18, 2016, 01:18:26 PM
Heh I wonder if this thing is actually attracting any legitimate interest from actual Americans.

If I was going to move, it would be to somewhere warmer, but other than that if I thought I could get equivalent employment, I would consider moving to Canada.

Although not really because of Trump, of course.

Vancouver is warmer than New York. Barely.

I assume that is just a troll

No, I looked at average January temps and y'all were about three degrees warmer.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Why would anyone want to move to Canada, all their good people keep moving to USA?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Malthus

Quote from: katmai on February 19, 2016, 02:10:51 AM
Why would anyone want to move to Canada, all their good people keep moving to USA?

Like Ted Cruz?  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

Quote from: Malthus on February 19, 2016, 09:15:00 AM
Quote from: katmai on February 19, 2016, 02:10:51 AM

Like Ted Cruz?  :D

The guy is successfully elected as a Senator.  He has to possess a superior intellect and other desirable qualities  :sleep:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 18, 2016, 05:28:30 PM
I have heard Costa Rica is a good place live and that the US $ goes a long way there.

Belize and Costa Rica are already full of expats who have run up the costs in all the desirable places from what I've heard.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on February 19, 2016, 09:25:26 AM
The guy is successfully elected as a Senator.  He has to possess a superior intellect and other desirable qualities  :sleep:

It's odd that a bureaucrat for an authoritarian regime would have such a naively positive view of elected representatives.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 19, 2016, 09:47:44 AM

It's odd that a bureaucrat for an authoritarian regime would have such a naively positive view of elected representatives.  :hmm:

It seems reasonable to assume that voters are smart, reasonable, and rational.  It follows that smart people must pick even smarter people as their representatives. 

Malthus

Quote from: Monoriu on February 19, 2016, 10:00:14 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 19, 2016, 09:47:44 AM

It seems reasonable to assume that voters are smart, reasonable, and rational.  It follows that smart people must pick even smarter people as their representatives.

The current Republican race is a real blow to this worldview ...  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

It seems reasonable to assume that voters are smart, reasonable, and rational.

If this assumption was true then Democracy would not be the worst system ever invented.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on February 19, 2016, 10:03:31 AM

It seems reasonable to assume that voters are smart, reasonable, and rational.

If this assumption was true then Democracy would not the worst system ever invented.

That would probably be American schools.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.