Sex is more important to happiness than money

Started by Jacob, February 15, 2016, 05:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Monoriu on February 15, 2016, 08:12:24 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2016, 07:58:37 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 15, 2016, 07:49:54 PM
Yeah, but one is also far more likely to get weekly sex if one has money :contract:

I'd be willing to bet poorer couples fuck more than rich ones.  Fucking is free entertainment.

What I am trying to say is, a poor dude is less likely to find a wife in the first place.

Plenty o' poor marriedz.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Drakken

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 15, 2016, 09:39:44 PM
You'll never live like common people
You'll never do whatever common people do
You'll never fail like common people
You'll never watch your life slide out of view
And dance and drink and screw
Because there's nothing else to do

That's easy enough to say if your name is Jarvis Cocker. :bowler:

Josquius

The uneducated poor certainly seem happy.
When youre poor you look at the world differently. You just don't consider these high end things that you're missing.  2 weeks in majorca seems like an amazing once a year treat.
You can't really just imagine yourself but with less money to compare.
██████
██████
██████

PDH

The little creatures of nature, they don't know they're ugly.  That's very funny!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

alfred russel

Jacob, did the study look into whether, in the absence of sex, happiness could be achieved through really frequent masturbation? :hmm:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josephus

Quote from: alfred russel on February 16, 2016, 09:57:36 AM
Jacob, did the study look into whether, in the absence of sex, happiness could be achieved through really frequent masturbation? :hmm:

How happy are you?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on February 16, 2016, 07:19:55 AM
The uneducated poor certainly seem happy.
When youre poor you look at the world differently. You just don't consider these high end things that you're missing.

Look up the middle class measuring rod theory.  Which is perhaps even more relevant in this age of social media.

Martinus

I wonder to what extent the study may have mistaken "more work" for "more money". I may be reading the study results wrong but it seems like they measured the level of happiness following a significant pay rise. This usually involves a significant increase in duties or at least in responsibility - I wonder if the rise in happiness was more significant had there simply been a cash hand out instead.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on February 16, 2016, 12:32:16 PM
I wonder to what extent the study may have mistaken "more work" for "more money". I may be reading the study results wrong but it seems like they measured the level of happiness following a significant pay rise. This usually involves a significant increase in duties or at least in responsibility - I wonder if the rise in happiness was more significant had there simply been a cash hand out instead.

I doubt it.  Workplace studies have identified happiness as being related to autonomy - ie the power to determine how, when and why one will do something.  While it is true that more autonomy normally equates to more responsibility it is a lot better than the alternative in most cases.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 16, 2016, 12:41:38 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 16, 2016, 12:32:16 PM

I doubt it.  Workplace studies have identified happiness as being related to autonomy - ie the power to determine how, when and why one will do something.  While it is true that more autonomy normally equates to more responsibility it is a lot better than the alternative in most cases.

Yeah that's true. Four different committees having to tell me it's ok to put solar panels on my own house is annoying as hell.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

This really should not come as any surprise. There have been many studies that have shown only a very shallow connection between having more money and being happier, especially once you are out of the abject poverty range.

Having healthy, fulfilling relationships with others however has been very much shown to contributing to happiness, and having a healthy, fulfilling relationship with your romantic partner would obviously be one of the most important of those...and studies have shown over and over that married couples are happiest when both partners feel like they are getting what they want and need out of it.

Kind of nice to see one study that skips some of those interim connections, but the conclusion is not even remotely surprising.

The only thing that sucks about it is that despite it being pretty obvious, there are still so many people out there who don't seem to get it, and instead pursue things like money and status, rather than relationships.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

"First you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the women."
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Berkut on February 16, 2016, 03:07:07 PM

The only thing that sucks about it is that despite it being pretty obvious, there are still so many people out there who don't seem to get it, and instead pursue things like money and status, rather than relationships.

Because having money and status makes it much easier to pursue relationships  :P

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on February 16, 2016, 03:07:07 PM
This really should not come as any surprise. There have been many studies that have shown only a very shallow connection between having more money and being happier, especially once you are out of the abject poverty range.

Having healthy, fulfilling relationships with others however has been very much shown to contributing to happiness, and having a healthy, fulfilling relationship with your romantic partner would obviously be one of the most important of those...and studies have shown over and over that married couples are happiest when both partners feel like they are getting what they want and need out of it.

Kind of nice to see one study that skips some of those interim connections, but the conclusion is not even remotely surprising.

Of course, that all may be true, but that isn't what the study showed as reported. It just showed that for people in relationships that sex was more important to their happiness. Nothing about whether one should prioritize having a relationship over money. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.