Sex is more important to happiness than money

Started by Jacob, February 15, 2016, 05:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

According to this study: http://www.iflscience.com/editors-blog/how-much-sex-makes-you-happy-once-week-according-science

QuoteThe first part of the study used data from a 23-year-long study of over 25,000 people, looking at their sexual desires, patterns, and preferences. In line with the general consensus, this research found that more sex is indeed linked to higher levels of happiness, but only until the frequency reaches once per week. After this point, the link between personal happiness and sex becomes more tenuous, and more sex has a far less significant effect.

This link only applies to those in romantic relationships, though – the relationship between singletons having sex and their own happiness wasn't statistically significant.

The second part of the study asked 335 ethnically diverse participants to take an online survey; they were asked the same types of questions about sex and happiness in relationships, and the results here confirmed the previous findings. This time, however, she decided to compare the sex-happiness link with another oft-cited measure of happiness: personal wealth.

People earning up to $25,000 (£16,400) per year were less happy overall than those earning $75,000 (£49,100); similarly, those having sex on a monthly basis were less happy overall than those having sex on a weekly basis. This isn't surprising, perhaps, but what was striking was just how much happier they were due to a change from monthly to weekly sex when compared to those who began to earn up to $50,000 (£32,740) more than their peers. To put it another way, weekly sex made people happier than a huge pay rise.

Norgy

Monoriu

Yeah, but one is also far more likely to get weekly sex if one has money :contract:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on February 15, 2016, 07:49:54 PM
Yeah, but one is also far more likely to get weekly sex if one has money :contract:

I'd be willing to bet poorer couples fuck more than rich ones.  Fucking is free entertainment.

Jacob

Quote from: Norgy on February 15, 2016, 07:44:09 PM
Said recently fucked poor people never.

They may not say it, but apparently they're happier than unfucked people who aren't poor.

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2016, 07:58:37 PM

I'd be willing to bet poorer couples fuck more than rich ones.  Fucking is free entertainment.

But poor people work five jobs every day and come home cold and tired. They have no time for fucking. Rich  lawyers on the other hand...well, I mean look how much free time they have here.  :D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2016, 07:58:37 PM

What I am trying to say is, a poor dude is less likely to find a wife in the first place. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on February 15, 2016, 08:12:24 PM
What I am trying to say is, a poor dude is less likely to find a wife in the first place.

I hate to be the one to have to break this to you mono, but certain people have been known to have intimate relations without getting married first.

CountDeMoney

Just more typical bullshit from the Breeder-Industrial Complex.   

Besides, money never made me sleep in the wet spot.*

*lulz, SHE SAID NEVER

Eddie Teach

The article is about people in relationships, not people seeing happiness workers.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 15, 2016, 08:51:44 PM

The article is about people in relationships, not people seeing happiness workers.

Why did you remove my quote from your signature?!
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on February 15, 2016, 08:53:54 PM
Why did you remove my quote from your signature?!

Because the humor had worn thin.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

You'll never live like common people
You'll never do whatever common people do
You'll never fail like common people
You'll never watch your life slide out of view
And dance and drink and screw
Because there's nothing else to do

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers