What is your choice for the New Zealand flag?

Started by Zanza, February 11, 2016, 01:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your choice for the New Zealand flag?

28 (62.2%)
17 (37.8%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Zanza

New Zealand will have a referendum on their flag in March (3rd to 24th March). Which do you prefer?

chipwich

The leaf is awful but it's still better than the imperial relic.

Barrister

Quote from: chipwich on February 11, 2016, 02:15:53 PM

Apparently the polls in New Zealand show "the imperial relic" is in a commanding lead. :punk:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

New flag sucks. Keep the old one until you come up with something better.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I'm OK with the fern flag except for that black patch.

celedhring

Old flag is boring. New flag is meh. Tough choice.

lustindarkness

Since they will not have a flag with a drunk Kiwi screwing a sheep, I will cast my vote for the new fern flag.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

celedhring

The people of New Zealand really missed a trick by not going with this one:

bogh

Yeah, the new design is bland and uninspired IMO. Only thing it's got going for it is that it looks nothing like the Australian flag.

It won't be adopted. John Key (PM) wanted to adopt the Silver Fern flag (All Blacks style), but that went sour and he's sort of given up on the project. The RSA and other people have also been pretty good at building opposition to any change. At this point it's really mostly a token effort for the government to not loose face by abandoning the process.

Valmy

Quote from: chipwich on February 11, 2016, 02:15:53 PM

Well that is the thing. The flag is a relic. People have attachments to relics.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

bogh

The Larch

Grinning_Colossus

Yet another example of the politics of empty symbolism instead of substance. New Zealand needs to become a republic and *then* change the flag. :P
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

bogh

NZ isn't going republic anytime soon. The royal family draws out huge crowds every time they're here and knighthood has been restored not long ago. Since the Treaty of Waitangi (the fundamental contract between Maori and Europeans) is between Crown and Maori, it would also require a major redefinition of the country in a lot of ways.

I suspect Key is really a republican (former investment banker, rationalist business man), so flag change was his quiet rebellion. Even that is set to fail spectacularly though, so he's probably happy he never went further.

This is a classic when talking about the flag debacle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz29_bFxBZA

Maximus