And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2016

Started by grumbler, February 09, 2016, 06:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on January 10, 2017, 10:26:02 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 10, 2017, 01:12:01 AM
I watched at a Clemson bar, and there were a few points (including the end) that some strong "ACC ACC" chants were going. Pretty damn awesome. Best conference in the land. :)

I was happy about Clemson winning until I read this.  Thanks.

If you hear Dorsey telling you that the ACC is the "best conference in the land," there is only one conclusion you can reach: that the ACC is NOT the best conference in the land!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

When the MIGHTY TEXAS LONGHORNS continually lose seven games a season while being in your conference that is clear evidence you are the best. There is no other possible explanation for this  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

I knew the officiating was gonna be shitty when I saw the Big12 dude doing the coin toss.  I did get better in the second half but in the first half Clemson kinda got screwed on a few calls.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on January 10, 2017, 12:49:40 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 10, 2017, 10:26:02 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 10, 2017, 01:12:01 AM
I watched at a Clemson bar, and there were a few points (including the end) that some strong "ACC ACC" chants were going. Pretty damn awesome. Best conference in the land. :)

I was happy about Clemson winning until I read this.  Thanks.

If you hear Dorsey telling you that the ACC is the "best conference in the land," there is only one conclusion you can reach: that the ACC is NOT the best conference in the land!  :lol:

The acc sure did pop the big 10s cherry. An fsu team that only went 5-3 in conference beat Michigan in the orange and Clemson humiliated Ohio state.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

How's that popping their cherry?  :hmm:

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2017, 01:34:40 PM

That's Dorsey you are responding to.  He doesn't have to make sense when he talks football; in fact, he might not even be able to make sense while talking about football.

Let 'im woof.  It might be the only year he can do so in his lifetime.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

I get cheering for your team - but who the hell cares if a rival team in your own conference wins?  They're your rival, dammit!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

It reflects well on your team too. At least the team that beat them in conference aren't total bums.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 10, 2017, 01:34:40 PM

Good point. The Big 10 was 3-7 in the college football postseason and lost all 3 of the major bowls it was in. That is the worst of the P5 conferences. The ACC didn't so much pop the cherry of the Big 10 as they were a part of a train run on the conference by all college football.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 10, 2017, 02:37:06 PM
I get cheering for your team - but who the hell cares if a rival team in your own conference wins?  They're your rival, dammit!

It is a horrible scourge the SEC has unleashed on College Football. Their conference propaganda became a recruiting thing. 'Come play in the great SEC! Oh sure you will be playing for Vanderbilt but SEC SEC SEC'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on January 10, 2017, 02:55:28 PM

It is a horrible scourge the SEC has unleashed on College Football. Their conference propaganda became a recruiting thing. 'Come play in the great SEC! Oh sure you will be playing for Vanderbilt but SEC SEC SEC'

Conference preference wasn't invented by the SEC.  It was the joint creation of the Big Ten and Pac Eight back when they decided that only their teams were worthy enough to play in the Rose Bowl.

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Because nothing excites fan interest like an abstract bureaucratic structure for scheduling and revenue sharing.

Hooray Commissioner Smith and his mighty board of directors! 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

I'd say that the ACC had the best year overall of any conference.  That doesn't necessarily make them the best conference.

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 10, 2017, 05:26:37 PM
Because nothing excites fan interest like an abstract bureaucratic structure for scheduling and revenue sharing.

Actually, the Big Ten is also an academic conference.

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on January 10, 2017, 05:35:47 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 10, 2017, 05:26:37 PM

Actually, the Big Ten is also an academic conference.

So even more excitement! 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson