News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2016

Started by grumbler, February 09, 2016, 06:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Jim Harbaugh doesn't believe in redshirts.  He played 16 freshmen today, despite having more returning starters than all but 6 1AA teams.  The previous Michigan record was 10.

He played 4 quarterbacks.  Eleven players rushed the ball, and eleven caught the ball.  All but 4 scholarship defensive players on the roster played. He really believes his mantra that "the best way to get better playing football is to play football."  Even without the starters, Michigan never punted, kicked no field goals, and never lost the ball on downs.  Yeah, that was against Hawaii, but that still exceeds even their lofty expectations.

I had expressed my doubts about LSU above, but the Wisconsin victory was still a major surprise to me.  Not as much as it was to the talking heads, who predicted an LSU double-digit cake walk, but, still, surprising.

Best play of the weekend, beating even the kick--six:  Nebraska lines up for their first punt with only ten men, leaving the punter's spot empty, to honor their punter who died this summer.  Five yard penalty, of course, but the most honorable 5-yard penalty ever.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

alfred russel

Okay, so it is halftime, and clemson is only up 7, so I may regret posting this in an hour, but I don't think the score tells the story. They are outgaining Auburn at the half 233-38. Assuming Auburn doesn't totally suck, which is possible, it looks like Clemson is picking up where they left off last year. Gus Malzahn is a good offensive coach--38 yards in a half is a good showing against him.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 03, 2016, 09:12:05 PM
Bevo XV: https://twitter.com/gregfenves/status/772247297505624064

:) :punk:

This Bevo will have a long and victory filled reign, starting next year under a new coaching staff.  :P

Actually, it would be a cool tradition that when a coach was fired, Bevo was turned into hamburgers and the new coach got a new Bevo. PETA would object, but it would make for some good halftime speeches. "Guys, if you don't care about my career and family, still try to show some effort in the second half or they are going to kill the cow."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

katmai

It was Rutgers granted but UDub looked good. Best offensive player who missed the 2015 season came back to score two touchdown receptions and for good measure ran a kickoff of TD as well.

But best part was the continuing impressive defense picking up from last year. Rutgers first 20 plays from scrimmage gained 19yds. Except for garbage time TD they held Rutgers to two FG's.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: alfred russel on September 03, 2016, 10:02:50 PM
This Bevo will have a long and victory filled reign, starting next year under a new coaching staff.  :P

Actually, it would be a cool tradition that when a coach was fired, Bevo was turned into hamburgers and the new coach got a new Bevo. PETA would object, but it would make for some good halftime speeches. "Guys, if you don't care about my career and family, still try to show some effort in the second half or they are going to kill the cow."

The actual owners of the various Bevos would probably object too.  ;)

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on September 03, 2016, 10:10:23 PM
It was Rutgers granted but UDub looked good. Best offensive player who missed the 2015 season came back to score two touchdown receptions and for good measure ran a kickoff of TD as well.

But best part was the continuing impressive defense picking up from last year. Rutgers first 20 plays from scrimmage gained 19yds. Except for garbage time TD they held Rutgers to two FG's.
It was Rutgers.  I wonder if any conference fans loathe a member school like the Big Ten fans loathe Rutgers.  Normally, I hope Big Ten teams win unless it hurts my team, but, in the case of Rutgers, I relish their humiliation.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

Wyoming and NIU just finished up.  40-34 WYO in 3OT. 

PDH

Holy shit. Wyoming beat NIU in three overtime. Wyoming, the team that lost to the (statistically) worst team in the country last year.

I say we call the season now.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on September 03, 2016, 08:36:06 PM
Best play of the weekend, beating even the kick--six:  Nebraska lines up for their first punt with only ten men, leaving the punter's spot empty, to honor their punter who died this summer.  Five yard penalty, of course, but the most honorable 5-yard penalty ever.

Indeed, that was class. And their opponent then declined the penalty, which was also class.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Arizona looked terrible. The offense, other than Wilson, looks completely out of sync.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

The process of the catch must be completed by a receiver in an end zone with the same team colors.  #MakeReceiversDefenselessAgain

dps

And another top 10 team goes down.  Congrats, Valmy.

MadBurgerMaker

derspiess

What a game. Big win for Texas, Valmy, Charlie Strong, and the Big 12. And since they beat Notre Dame, a big win for humanity.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall